Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone !
Everyone was so helpful before in my last post about using a 1988 Mustang GT rear end in my 1932 Ford Hot Rod build, I figured I'd ask another question along the same lines. This 1988 Mustang 8.8 rear end has axles with a 4 bolt pattern for rims, I would like to change the axles to a 5 bolt pattern, if I got new axles out of another Mustang would I have to change any gears in the housing ? If I kept the same spline ?

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
If the new axles are the same spline and the same length then it is just an R&R deal.. You will most likely need new axle bearings as well as the bearings are pressed on to the axles.. Of course you will need new drums or rotors for the new bolt pattern.. Now it is an issue of finding new axles that fit..

Sam

·
High Performance Rear Ends
3,719 Posts
8.8 axle bearings are pressed into the housing, not on the axle. Ford ranger short side axles can be used in the FOX body 8.8 Mustang rear end. Also Ranger 5 lug brake drums can be used. The ranger has a long and a short axle. You need 2 of the short axles (I think the short axle is on the right side). The 7.5 and 8.8 both have the same 28 spline axles. There are no factory installed 5 lug Mustang axles that will fit the FOX housing. The 5 lug axles started in '94 and were longer than the earlier 4 lug FOX axles. There are also many axle companies that make 5 lug conversion axles for the FOX rear end.

·
Registered
468 Posts
RH Ranger "short" axles are only 26-1/4" long, don't use those.

LH Ranger "long" 28spl axles are 5 lug and 29-5/32" long, same as Aerostar RH axles.
FOX Mustang axles are 4 lug and 29-1/4" long, but the Ranger/Aerostar 5 lug axles are close enough in length, a popular swap.

·
High Performance Rear Ends
3,719 Posts
Sorry, I got the long and short mixed up. It's been a few years since I did this conversion. Thanks for correcting me.

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
SVO 5 lug

The 4 cyl turbo SVO from the mid 80's use 5 lug lincoln parts, but were wider. Those svo mustangs used special 5 lug wheel s to keet the tires under the fenders
I have built a couple 8.8 disc rears IN the wrecking yard ai thought it was the short side ranger, and lincoln town car rear discs.
it was a few years ago, I still have a couple ho;s, parked. here's more mustang info.
http://home.comcast.net/~mjbobbitt/mustang/page1.html

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
mustang forum info

this said it was the long side. I JUST MATCHED UP LENGTHS, HERE IS MORE INFO.
Rear
To convert the rear end to 5-lugs you need to replace the 4-lug axles and drums with 5-lug units. The axles that are needed will be either off of a Ranger, Bronco II or Aerostar van.

From an ’83 to ’92 4 cylinder or 3.0L V6 Ranger/Bronco II with a 7.5″ rear end you will need two driver’s side axles. Only the driver’s side will work as the pumpkin on these rear ends is offset and the axles are different lengths (you need the longer of the two axles). It should measure 29-5/32″.

From an Aerostar you will need two of the passenger side axles from an 86 to 97 model.

The axles are all the same so they can be mix-matched (i.e. – one driver’s side axle from a Ranger and one passenger side axle from an Aerostar).

You can use the brake drums from either side of the above listed vehicles but make sure that they are 9″ drums. The 4.0L Rangers came with an 8.8″ rear end with 10″ drums – these will not work.

Prices will vary, of course, but I was able to get the axles and drums from a local “Pull It Yourself” type yard. The axles run about $20 each and the drums will run about $15 each.

Be sure to check the axles to make sure they are not bent or worn on the bearing surface and check the drums to ensure that they are smooth or can be turned to no more than the maximum diameter.

Miscellaneous items for the rear include new brake shoes, fresh gear oil, RTV gasket maker to seal the differential cover and one additional lug nut for each side

1 - 7 of 7 Posts