Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have dropped my 383 at the shop the pther day and according the owner my 268 cam is possibly not a better choice for my set-up and suggested to think about another cam...I would appreciate advices from you guys what to look for.

The set up has a 10.25 compression ratio,alum.heads...it has a tendency to heat-up too much..didn't like idling at all! According the shop man the 268 comp cam makes it a 210 pounds static compression motor (I had verified this and he's right) wich contributes greatly the overheating problem. So basically I am looking for another cam,hydraulic flat tappet, that would minimize the overheating but of course I'd like to keep the power...

thanks for your help.
Ronald.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
i have a 406 that i have the same problem with.i spent boo-koo bucks at machine shops hoping someone did something wrong that could be corrected and experimented with all kinds of coolant solutions and parts.took alot of time too.mine cylinder press.is 190.i finally got an alum. 2 1" cores 31x19 griffin radiator and astewart stage 2 alum. water pump.edelbrock victor series is equivalent.also the alum. hi volume gm pump is nearly as good.itputs out goodwater velocity but doesn't cool as even side to side.i run a 160* stat. with 3, 1/4" holes in it and pluged the by-pass.in the winter i run a 170* or 180* stat. again with the holes drilled.in the summer i add 40 below or stops overheating,both are from prolong.i got a dual 11" fan from a shops extra parts i believe its from a toyota.you can get them at any junk yard.and i figured a larger oil pan and oil cooler would help so i got a 7 quart pan and 450 h.p. cooler along with a very large trans cooler all from jegs.if i had it to do again i'd get most of it at the junk yard.it got hot from the start and i had so much money in it that there was no turning back.i had to go forward.now i hardly hit 180*if you use e.fans & thermal sensor you can make it as hot or cold as you want it.and your cam should be no problem at all.i'm running 10.25-10.5-1 with a472/496 lift and 216/222 [email protected] right now and its the smallest cam i've used,but it works well.all the magazines rave about that cam in builds like yours and mine.hope this helps you decide.good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts