Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to change the rear end in my 82 El Camino which is currently a part number 2ax - c189 -2 , (not exactly sure what this stands for) 7 1/2 by 10 bolt , non posi rear end which I believe has a 2.73 or lower gear to an Eaton 911a415 True Trac posi 7 1/2 - 26 spline with 3.08 gears. I have the Eaton diff already but need to pick up a set of gears. What is the difference in series 1,2 or 3 carriers? Which would fit this vehicle? Does it make any difference to the type of gear set I need or do they just have to be 7 1/2 "
Thanks!

·
Revolution Calling
916 Posts
Series is the first number in a ratio. 2.73 is a 2 series, 3.42 is a 3 series on down.

The carrier must match the gear series because of the ring gear flange needing to be in the right spot. High gears (low numerically) have much bigger pinions, thus the ring gear flange must be offset more to get the ring in the right spot.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Confused

Ok I'm a little confused. First..we know I have a series 2 carrier.
If i read this right , the comment was a 3.08 gear is a 3 series gear but will fit a 2 series carrier same as a 2.73 gear? If it is a 3 series gear why does it not need a 3 series carrier?

Next

Summit sells a 3.08 gear from Motive Gear that they say fits a 3 series carrier set. Will this fit my rear end?

Richmond sells a 3.08 gear that fits a 2 series. Wil that fit?

Thanks to the experts.
John

·
Premium Member
2,233 Posts
C-10 said:
Series is the first number in a ratio. 2.73 is a 2 series, 3.42 is a 3 series on down.
That sentence couldn't be any more WRONG! Several GM axles have an overlap between the 2 and 3 series, as well as the 3 and 4 series- simply reading a catalog will teach this.

Your 82 El Camino could even have as high as a 2.29 gear ratio, I pulled that ratio out of my '81 Malibu when I upgraded to a set of 3.73 gears out of an S-10.

You could also upgrade to 28 spline axleshafts, I'm not sure right now which year they changed, but they are available both as stock replacements and aftermarket.

·
Differential/Driveline
1,782 Posts
88 & older is 26 spline.
89 & newer is 28 spline.
911A415: 26 spline and fits 3.08 & Higher ratio's.
911A319: 26 spline and fits 323 & Lower ratio's.

I copy and pasted from the Richmond site to show you what would fit.With your carrier,the ones marked with **.

3.08 49-0001-1 40-13 2 **
3.23 49-0044-1 42-13 3
3.23 49-0003-1 42-13 2 **
3.42 49-0045-1 41-12 3
3.42 49-0005-1 41-12 2 **

What ratio are you wanting? If I had my choice, in your application I would pick a different brand other than Richmond.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Options

My Eaton True Track posi diff says it will take up to a 3.08 gear so thats what I'm shooting for. It will be light duty so I'm looking for the best buy.
Will going to posi make much difference?
Currently running a pretty much stock 350 with a 350 trans.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thick

Excellent info
So my Eaton posi says it will accept 3.08 and down . Does that mean they are saying down as in 2.73?
Do you know if the thick 3.23 work with the Eaton posi and this axle carrier??

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
The thick 3.23 will work with your carrier. The thick designation means that material is added to the ring to move it back in alignment with the pinion in the amount required to make up the difference between the different carrier series. Get at least a 3.23 as the change to 3.08 will hardly be noticeable.

·
Differential/Driveline
1,782 Posts
johnrmclean said:
Excellent info
So my Eaton posi says it will accept 3.08 and down . Does that mean they are saying down as in 2.73?
Do you know if the thick 3.23 work with the Eaton posi and this axle carrier??
You're correct on the carrier. Depending on what you decide for a ratio you can have just about whatever ratio you want.
http://www.ringpinion.com/PartsList.aspx?SearchMode=Diff&TypeID=5&DiffID=39&CatID=10

Just look for the set's with a "T" and the end of the part number if you don't go with the 308 ratio. Just do some shopping to see who has the best prices.

·
Revolution Calling
916 Posts
M&M CUSTOM said:
That sentence couldn't be any more WRONG! Several GM axles have an overlap between the 2 and 3 series, as well as the 3 and 4 series- simply reading a catalog will teach this.
Yes there is overlap, and it varies per axle. The sentence is a generalization, perhaps to 'overly generalized' for a newb. Sorry about that.

Relax.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
But is it Compatible withthe eaton posi?

So we have determined the thick 3.23 will work with the axle carrier but will it work with the Eaton True track posi that says it fits 3.08 down??

Or is that really all determined by the axle carrier?

Thanks

·
Differential/Driveline
1,782 Posts
johnrmclean said:
Oh ya..what kind of installation kit do you usually need when you do a swap??
Get a complete install kit. It will come with all the Brg's,seal,shim's and crush sleeve etc. The part number for install kit is RA320MK. Just shop the net and see who has the best price for the part's and shipping.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.