Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok... so, I am looking at my car's suspension... and where are the springs?? :confused: according to a diagram I have seen on the internet, they are somewhere more towards the middle of the car (not around the strut like most I have seen). So, basically my question is, do you need to clamp the spring when taking out the strut? And if so, how do you actually get to it?

·
Registered
754 Posts
Most struts have a plate and 3 bolts that bolt to the inner fenderwell. Open the hood and look on either side on the fenderwells to see the 3 bolts. You take them off and take out the bolt on the bottom. The strut comes out as one piece. BUT !! when you take them apart, you must compress the springs to remove them and replace the strut.Then they go back in as one piece, just like you took them out.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah... thats most cars. Like, every other one I have ever worked on. The mustang, however, does not have the springs around the strut. So, basically, my question is - do I need to clamp the spring, or is it actually attached? Or the weight of the car will hold it in place? Or its gonna fly out and take my face off?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.