Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope someone can help me, after reading some of the topics and replies I know I'm in the right place. Altough, its not a "hotrod", I have a project I would like to undertake. I have a 84 Mercury Capri hardtop, I would like to convert it to a t-top. I have a parts car(85 Mustang GT) with t-tops. I've measured the roofs and they are the same, both are fox-body cars, with few structural differences. I will also be switching the doors, since the Capri has a rigid window channel for the hardtop, and the t-top cars do not. My problem... What is the best way to cut off the top and re-attach it to the car?? I was thinking about a clean cut with a reciprocating saw and then mig weld it. I was planning to cut the windshield frame rails approximately in half, then attach the "new roof" to them. Any suggestions???

·
8,453 Posts
Sounds like a great project! Crazy enough it is something I would try. There are several books out there on the topic of top chopping and major body working. Get as many as you can and study what the experts did. Then carefully plan and do your job. The tools you mention are fine but you should consider getting an air powered cutoff wheel (3" dia. and 1/16" thick grit disk), and a good set of straight, left, and right hand tin snips. Also, get 4 or so regular vice grips and a many of the deep reach vice grips. Can't have too many clamps!

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
As the very talented willys36 already mentiond a air cutoff tool and many discs would be nice to have as well as many vise grips and C vise grips (shaped like two large C's) A plasma cutter would be the best thing to have for cutting, but most don't have this as a regular garage tool. Now to your question. Installing T-tops ion a non t-top car has been done before, many times. I myself have done a '94 S-10 with a custom aplication and new custom glass. Replacing the whole entore roof isnt needed. Just cutting and replacing the center section containing the t-tops will do just fine. As a matter of fact in the late '70's and early to late '80's GM made a kit for many of their coupes that only required the center section removed and this kit welded in or if you chose the aluminum version, bolted in. You can do the same with your prodject. As for the doors if they are nearly identicle the doors should be easily attached, may even bolt directly up. I'm not sure of these two cars ability to swap parts, but if the doors aren't easy fitted let me know, or reffer to the post in this same forum about removing window frames on doors, will be glad to help.

I can also get pictures of an aluminum version of the kit mentioned above if needed, but they will take me a few to get on here.

HK

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by Halloweenking:
<strong>As the very talented willys36 already mentiond a air cutoff tool and many discs would be nice to have as well as many vise grips and C vise grips (shaped like two large C's) A plasma cutter would be the best thing to have for cutting, but most don't have this as a regular garage tool. Now to your question. Installing T-tops ion a non t-top car has been done before, many times. I myself have done a '94 S-10 with a custom aplication and new custom glass. Replacing the whole entore roof isnt needed. Just cutting and replacing the center section containing the t-tops will do just fine. As a matter of fact in the late '70's and early to late '80's GM made a kit for many of their coupes that only required the center section removed and this kit welded in or if you chose the aluminum version, bolted in. You can do the same with your prodject. As for the doors if they are nearly identicle the doors should be easily attached, may even bolt directly up. I'm not sure of these two cars ability to swap parts, but if the doors aren't easy fitted let me know, or reffer to the post in this same forum about removing window frames on doors, will be glad to help.

I can also get pictures of an aluminum version of the kit mentioned above if needed, but they will take me a few to get on here.

HK</strong><hr></blockquote>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts