Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Member# 3287
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 12 bolt rear end for my '67 Chevy. The guy who had it replaced the original length studs for longer ones, for racing.

I've never had to mess with them before. Anyone have any easy way to press out the old studs while it's all assembled? Or, will I have to pop the axles?

·
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed
1,855 Posts
If ya don't wanna save the long ones just wack um off with a cutoff wheel and knock um out with a punch and a ballpeen hammer.

·
Registered
329 Posts
The easy method I use is to grab a mash hammer and hit the stud full on square. Amzingly they pop out easily when u hit them with conviction and the threads remain undamaged.

·
Member# 3287
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Club,

I'm assuming a "mash" hammer is defined as "big", "heavy", "massive", or "sledge"?? Or, maybe all of the above?

It's funny how two peoples who speak English are divided by the common language...Did Churchill say something like that?

Thanks

·
Kenneth Howard hates me...
129 Posts
If you do deside to cut the shorter, Do it with a nut already in the stud. When you remove the nut from the shortened stud, it will stand the threads back up. Good luck starting a lug nut on a stud that has had the first thread wacked.

I wonder if you could put a hole in the backing plate to get the studs in and out with the axles in, than plug it (kinda like a big adjuster hole?)

·
Member# 3287
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ghetto,

I've got the Chevy rallye wheels on the '67 and I used the short center caps instead of the usual high-hat derby caps. I don't think the longer studs will fit under them.

You know now that you mention it, I might save some grief and see if they do fit. Golly Gosh, I'm glad I thought of that!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts