Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks I am a first time Rod Builder and need an explanation of what channeling and sectioning means. I am building a 47 Chevy sedan delivery and after I saw Pat Keating's 48 Chevy in Street Rodder Jan 2002 issue I have decided that I will need to do more work to properly express my self and I need to understand the terminology.

Also dose anyone know about working with aluminum, I know when you heat it become real workable. How do you make it regain it's stiffness or strength? Possible by placing in cold water while hot?

Happy Hot Rodding

·
Registered
127 Posts
A simple explanation is channeling is lowering the body over the frame, sectioning is taking part of the body out to shorten its height,similiar to chopping a top.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Dan: I have read a book on using aluminum and believe most of the shaping is done cold. Frequently wooden bucks are built as a support for the panels while in process. You won't find a lot of hot rodders using aluminum because welding it is a problem. It is difficult to wire feed aluminum because the wire is too soft to "push" well. A wire spool at the gun instead of at the machine is used professionally. I think most aluminum is tig welded for structural components. I guess I didn't really answer your question.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts