Hot Rod Forum banner

Check ball count

3K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  chasracer 
#1 ·
i have never rebuilt a transmission before. I had a “friend” who was supposed to help and walk me through it so I could learn. Instead he came over ripped everything apart and left me with a table full of parts and a book and wished me luck.. I have done pretty damn good so far but I’m down to the valve body and my book Says there are 6 check balls. I only have 5 check balls. Am I missing a ball? And if I’m able to use just 5 check balls what location goes without one? It’s all stock applications. I don’t have any shift kit mods or anything like that. Transmission is a turbo 400

See less See more
#4 ·
i have never rebuilt a transmission before. I had a “friend” who was supposed to help and walk me through it so I could learn. Instead he came over ripped everything apart and left me with a table full of parts and a book and wished me luck.. I have done pretty damn good so far but I’m down to the valve body and my book Says there are 6 check balls. I only have 5 check balls. Am I missing a ball? And if I’m able to use just 5 check balls what location goes without one? It’s all stock applications. I don’t have any shift kit mods or anything like that. Transmission is a turbo 400 View attachment 618734
Your ATSG picture tells you it's #1 that doesn't need the check ball - put what you have in #2 thru #6.
Your ATSG picture tells you it's #1 that doesn't need the check ball - put what you have in #2 thru #6.
So with it being stock and not having any kind of shift kit I’ll be ok not putting in check ball #1? Just want to be sure definitely wanna make my first rebuild correct.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.