Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
I was an Engineer Officer with the Blue Funnel Line (Alfred Holt & Co) Liverpool.

I sailed on ships which had these Sulzer engines, also Twin Burmeister & Wayne engines, 6 cyls each and Supercharged. Each cyl had 3 pistons, and fired top and bottom of the stroke.

They were 4 storey's high and fairly quiet when you consider the size. If you think it is hot in Nevada, you should try crossing the Equator in the Engineroom of one of these ships. Apart from the Main engine, we had 6 nine Cyl Generators, a Refrigeration Plant, 2 Steam Boilers, 4 giant Compressors, and various other pieces of machinery all running down there.

The engine is started up with compressed air, on Diesel oil at first, then changed over to Boiler Oil, which is so thick it has to be superheated with steam to get it to flow through the pipes. The ships I sailed in burned 24 tons of fuel per 24 hours sailing.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
---
I thought it was started up with that flywheel looking thing. Thats probably something that gets geared to the propeller.

---

That one is 1.5 MILLION cubic inches!

Here I am trying to get 33 more out of my 350. lol

·
Build it right the first time
227 Posts
peteshotrodshop said:
i'd like to build a street rod with an allison airplane engine.

That would be awsome but it would require an extreme heavy duty suspension to accommodate a nearly 1500lb engine, plus who knows how many custom fabed parts, but I've seen an early 50's drag car powered by one in a museum a few years back.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.