Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
The best way to check piston to head clearance that i know of is. to take some of your kids play-do lay a ball of it on the top of your piston and bolt the head on and by hand turn the engine over this will also give you piston to valve clearance and after you've done this add the thickness of the head gasket you intend to use

mike:welcome:

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,783 Posts
piston clearance

Can you give us some more info on you set-up... Pistons, heads etc????

You can use the clay method as described above. You can also use a piece of solder. Do it with out head gaskets on the engine. It comes in different diameters. If you use a piece .062" in diameter and it don't touch then you know you have at least .062 Plus you head gasket thickness. You can lay it on the dome and roll the engine over and if there is contact it will push it flat so there will be no damage. You should also check your plugs. On some piston head combo the plugs will hit the pistons. It's better to find out now so you can notch the piston so you don't have to worry about indexing the plugs every time you change them.....

Keith

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
head clearance

IF you have a dial micrometer, run your pistons up to TDC and mike the unswept area, then mic your head gasket. This will tell you how far your head is from teh piston.

·
One of these days...soon
327 Posts
Poor mans solution.

Put a level across the deck and bring the piston up to top dead center, then use a set of feeler gages to determine how far the piston sits, then add it to your gasket thickness.

406chevelle

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
Put I mic on the back of your valve, put a 10 lb spring on it, push it down with your thumb. That way you can do it without taking the head off, if its already been put on.

K

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
The best way is to get a solid lifter and use the Play-dough method.

killerformula said:
Put I mic on the back of your valve, put a 10 lb spring on it, push it down with your thumb. That way you can do it without taking the head off, if its already been put on.

K
:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
15 Posts
406chevelle said:
Poor mans solution.

Put a level across the deck and bring the piston up to top dead center, then use a set of feeler gages to determine how far the piston sits, then add it to your gasket thickness.

406chevelle
This won't tell your valve clearance.....only your deck ht.

The modeling clay works good just be sure to dab some oil on the piston and valves.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,783 Posts
???

If i read the question right he wants to know how to check piston to head, not valve to piston...

Keith

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for all your help

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP. IM USING EDELBROCK PERFORMER RPM HEADS AND DOMED PISTONS. WITH YOUR HELP I WAS ABLE TO FINISH THE MOTOR. ONCE AGAIN THANKS FOR EVERY ONES INPUT.:thumbup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts