Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking for recommendations on an aftermarket carb as i will have to install the tv cable adapter for my truck to accomadate the 700r4 transmission. Can anyone suggest a brand to go with , edelbrock, holley etc? I will also be installing a lockup module as well on this setup. I attached pics of the original carb.
Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is there some reason you can't fabricate linkage to accommodate the new transmission & lockup ?
the 700r4 has that tv cable (kick down ) that connects to the carburetor.
the lockup is used so as to relieve stress of the transmission at highway speed. I was more so after ideas for carb setup with the 700r4. I believe im going to purchase a lockup kit from bowler

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,984 Posts
The cable has a certain amount of pull. Any carb has a certain amount of degrees rotation of the throttle shaft.
Using both of these will determine how far off the center of the throttle shaft the hole for cable hook up needs to be. A bracket can be made for this.

If OP desires a new 4 barrel, aftermarket has correct brackets for Eddy or Holley carbs.

Just an FYI, my 283 got worse mileage with a 700r4 than the 350 I put in it's place. OP may find he needs to drive in 3 so that it doesn't lug.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the input. I couldn't be bothered with trying to make a bracket to fix the carb/tv cable if I can buy one as they aren't overly priced. I'm going to have my hands as it is with this project. I was just after opinions of what others have done. I have a 283, 700r4, and the original rear end for now. I wont be changing to other parts until i seen these ones fail. I will either be purchasing a holley or edelbrock carb, and tv cable bracket to accommodate the cable. If this engine doesn't pan out, then ill probably get a 350 "just like everybody else". Once again..........I'm NOT a mechanic , AND I will be asking VERy basic questions.

·
Registered
15,320 Posts
The issue with the 700R4 is that the TV cable is very sensitive to adjustment and sweep of the throttle lever movement. Adapters are sold that fit on the throttle’s crank such that they provide the correct force on the cable for the angle of rotation at the throttle shaft. Adapters are available for the Holley and Edelbrock 4 barrels. Not having built anything with a 2GC I haven’t tried to make a 700R4 TV cable work with such a combination.

At the link through Summit you will see in the B&M instructions in view number 5 the angles you need to match at the carb’s throttle shaft that maintains correct alignments on the cable. This is a separate issue alignments of the throttle bracket that attaches to the intake manifold which is another subject requiring the end product provide the correct angles and height of the TC cable relative to its attachment to the throttle shaft bracket.

Get these attachments wrong and the tranny’s insides go up in smoke faster than you can read this.

Converter lock up is either a kit or if the transmission provides an exposed 4th gear pressure port you can skip all the vacuum switch complication and just use a pressure switch on the port which provides converter clutch lock only if 4th is applied. There really is no reason to have lockup in any other gear, this factory lock up in 2nd and 3rd was just for EPA games on the dyno, in the real world this serves no useful purpose.

The other problem you may encounter is that most 700R4’s were made to operate an electric speedometer. If your installation uses a mechanical speedometer you will have to choose that option if buying a ready to install tranny, or make the modification if your building it yourself. This goes both ways in terms of if your vehicle has an electric speedo and the trans is built for a mechanical speedo.

Bogie

·
1949 Ford Coupe RESURRECTION
1,050 Posts
Bogie, I generally digest your comments and have learned a lot from you.... I thoroughly respect nearly everything you do to help out those of us who are old but still learning. However, there are two things you mentioned in the previous post that we should clarify. The first is, depending on the personality of the owner of the vehicle in question (old and likes to drive like an ordinary old person, all the way to a twenty-two year old idiot that endangers other's lives every time he/she gets behind the wheel), the favorability and usefulness of a 2,3,4 lockup may or may not apply to the list of choices for the owner. For instance, nobody needs to buy a "kit" to have selectable shifting modes. The only thing one needs is a two wire 4th gear pressure switch, a three position toggle switch (on/off/on) and some wire and terminals. Early 700R4's had an external pressure switch port that could be used without pulling the pan for installation, but in about '88 or '89, the ports were deleted, and the 4th pressure switch is mounted internally on the valve body. I have read that you can "drill a hole and tap it" in the side of the transmission to mount a switch externally, but I surely wouldn't do that..

I happen to LOVE the way that The Judge handles the highways, steep hills, not so steep hills, and of course, the interstate. Don't laugh, but I'm running an '85 Jag XJS 2.88, 2,400 stall converter, and a 700R4 with either "stock lockup" (4th only), "old man lockup" (2,3, and 4), or teenager's lockup (none at all in any gear). And frankly, I LOVE the way she handles/drives/shifts/feels. But again, it all depends on the owner's personality whether he/she would find using such a setup and consider it "useful".....Since the 700R4 has such low 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears (which a lot of guys don't like), it works out perfect for a low ratio rear end combination such as a 2.88 or even a 3.55...

The other thing is that the "electric speedometer" design started way back around '85, but there still were many applications that used the cable also. All anybody has to do to change any 700R4 one way or the other is to purchase whichever an owner wants/needs to make his 700R4 go either way by simply getting the "insert" that contains the driven gear/shaft which has either a cable output connector or the electric connector. Either can easily be found by googling around the interweb...

I'll shut up now...

·
Registered
473 Posts
There are probably numerous places to source what you need.
I'm the kind of guy who would make my own and have done this very install for my T700R4.
What you seek I beleive can be had from Bowtie Overdrives in Hesperia CA, just outside of Victorville.

Here is their link below, just click on it...

Bowtie Overdrives

What I believe you seek is a sandwich plate that bolts between the manifold and carby, so you will also need 2 gaskets there and then a bolt on bracket that attaches to the carby lever arm.
I am not recommending this company persay but I do believe they will have what is required.

Note that the TV cable needs to be setup in a particular way which will probably be part of any instructions provided with your purchase.
If not sure ask here for more help.

Also be sure if after all this install, if yoiu are not getting decent shifts particularly from 1st to 2nd gears, ensure that you have the correct amount of oil in your tranny and by that I mean, dont just believe the dipstick reading.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
just to completely go the other way....what would the difference be if a guy was to goto to an aftermarket efi system in regards to setting up the tranny? Does the tv cable some into play or would it be an added sensor from the tranny to the efi system? just curious, i want to make this thing start and run easy, in case my wife decides she likes me again... lol

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,984 Posts
No electronics in the 700r4.
Still would need a bracket of correct geometry on throttle shaft of the EFI throttle body.

Does aftermarket EFI require a VSS? I don't know. I've only used stock ECM's.

Reactions: Bunyan

·
Registered
473 Posts
The T700R4 does not require any elelctronic relationship to an engine efi system.
Although later model systems run both tranny and engine functions.
All you would be doing is losing your carby and runnung a computer to manage your fuel and air intake.
Not my cup of tea, I much prefer older technology on my stuff, but do like HEI dizzy's if you carry a spare module in the glove compartment...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts