Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1923 "T" Bucket with a Chev 350/350 combo. It has a 3:73 rear gear with 26" tires. My problem is it shifts way to soon. I'm in third gear at 20mph under normal acceleration. Plenty of power in 3rd and it will down shift when floored. How can the shifting points be changed? THANKS FOR YOUR HELP. (reclusej)

·
Premium Member
2,233 Posts
Copied from an internet search (and edited down for the important stuff):

Think of the governor as a hydraulic speedometer, which tells the transmission when to shift up based on vehicle speed, the wieghts in the governor, and the spring rates in the governor.

The governor turns in direct relation to the output shaft rotation, and therefore vehicle speed. Inside the governor is a valve that opens and closes to "govern" the upshifts.

Changing the weights and springs will in effect (tell) the transmission when to shift.

There are several manufacturers that sell governor recalibration kits.

·
Registered
427 Posts
If it had a shift kit installed quite often it will shift that quickly but if you kind of put your foot into it the shifts will be higher and crisper.
You can change weights in the governor assembly or reprogram the valve body.
Adjusting the modulator won't really alter the shift points that much.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stu, I have a mild shift kit and it respones just like you discribed. I have the modulator connected to intake manifold not the carb. Does that make a differance? I might be heading towards the governor. Thanks! (reclusej)

·
Registered
427 Posts
The modulator is connected to the proper place.
If a shift kit has been installed the governor weights / springs are often included.

Not being a smart "donkey". ( Read whatever you like )
Did you put the kit in?
If so did you do the governor too?
If so you may want to have a look at the governor.
If it is held by the gear with governor kind of hanging down when the weights are pushed in and released you will see a small valve inside move.
There are two lands.
The amount of clearance showing when the weight is compressed and released should be about the same.
The springs can also be changed at this time.
You will want to go with stronger ones.
( strong as in produce a higher shift speed )
Caution.
A little bit goes a long ways. ( No pun intended )

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stu, I must admit I did not put the shift kit in. It was done by a person who does it for a living. I'm not even sure where the govenor is. Read and learn, right? I enjoy doing things by my self if I can. Perhaps I will take it back to the professional. Thanks for all your help.(reclusej)

·
Administrator
9,811 Posts
You will find the springs have the greatest effect on shift timing at low speeds ( under 35 mph)... the weights have more effect on higher road speed shift points.

Lighter springs will result in later shifts at low speeds

·
machinest & A&P Mechanic
363 Posts
the governer on the TH350 is under the circular steel "cup" on the left side of the tranny. most of them have a bail over the cover. which will need to be removed to take the cover off (it can be a pain to do without hurting the trannys case) the governer should just slide out. hold on to it so the gear faces you and you will see the springs, NO NOT take the governer apart to remove the springs, replace with diffrent springs and lubricate the governer bore with ATF and you should be set to install the governer cover, be shure not to beat the crap outa it, its best to find a pipe that just fits over it so you can hammer on the lip.. BTW if you have a transgo shiftkit a spring might have been installed behind the modulater. you can take this spring out if you feal "shifts are to early". stock trannys do not have this spring.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts