Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will the 330 hp, 350 Delux Chev motor run on 87 octane? It has 9.1 to 1 CR. I know the 8.50 to 1 will but how high can I get before I start knocking? Botton line is I want a new motor that has at least 300 hp/350 ft lb's and that runs on 87 octane. I have the new Scoggin Dickley catalog here, I don't see the 383 HT, anyone got the specs on it?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Will it make it?

AS a general rule, 9:1-9.5:1 is the upper limits in compression ratio for running 87 octane gas in standard production engines. There are a lot of other variables involved than just compression ratio, though. For instance, running aluminum heads will tolarate running higher compression ratios on a given octane of gas. Cam lobe separation, ignition timing, and rod/ stroke ratio all play into the equation as well.

·
Registered
56 chev on 79 chassis, 62 LeSabre
3,141 Posts
in case you couldn't tell, that was a definite YES. scoggin dickey has a web site. find it and you can get your specs

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I knew 9.1 to 1 would be pushing it. Edelbrock has a 350 with 8.5 to 1 that makes 310 HP but it sells for $4,300. I think their using the Goodwrench motor as a starting place. The motor for this project will be going in a 3,900 lb Scout so I need my torque by 3,000 RPM or so. The 383 HT would be a good choice but than the compression is too much again. I've used the 265 HP version of the Goodwrench motors before and I might go this route again but it would be way nice to have a little more power in the 3,000 RPM range. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Id look into finding a good deal on a shortblock and then putting your money into a set of aluminum heads. With the right cam and heads your 350 will make plenty of power (in the range your looking for) and run on 87 all day long.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.