Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all....back again I have a 1981 Chev 4wd with suburban doors of an 87 with power windows and locks. The wiring has not been cut and is not pinched anywhere..My issue is that when I turn the ignition key forward and go to use the drivers window,it does jack squat not even a sound.. the passenger side goes up and down, the locks work and there is power going to everything.. THEN after about 1-2 min of doing something else...THEN the drivers side window starts to work.. any ideas..? I assume it is the motor getting week..but could it be the switch ??? HELP.. I don't want to put it all back together till all the bugs are worked ouot.. This thing has been a nightmare.. DON'T convert any truck to fuel injection or power wd/lks IT IS A NIGHTMARE !!! LOL

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a similar prob on my 89' Regal. What I did was take the switches out, pull them apart and clean them up removing dirt and carbon on the contact areas and they worked just fine after that. No promises but might work for you.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool !

At first I thought the motor went.. but then it worked so I figured due to the Canadian cold and dampness.. I thought maybe moisture got in it from sitting.. I'll try that.. probably got crap in the switches.. thanx

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here, :pimp:

After cleaning, Check your grounds, be sure they are properly bonded.

Make sure all regulators and motor drive gears have CLEAN New lube.

Be sure the window sits straight in the frame, and put a small amount of rubber renew in the weather strip.

Doc :pimp:

·
Car? Truck? Who Cares
2,485 Posts
I worked on an 88 that had a ground splice in the accordian boot between the door and the cowl.---The splice to the driver switch had come loose, and was very intermittant.

I think these are called weld splices, they supposedly seldom fail, but this one did.

Bryan

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
re splice

This 81 truck didn't have the wiring in it for power windows so I used the 87 suburban wiring. I wrapped the wiring with rubber to make sure it didn't rub. I sprayed the switch yesterday with lubricant and it worked fine this morning.. Either way, I am removing the panels and checking all wiring before I paint the truck and put all interior back together.. I am sure it is the switch,.. but am taking notes on all the advice as it doesn't hurt to double check things.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here, :pimp:

That's the nice thing about the INTERNET, and forums like this...

Just click "Print" on thread tools, and you have a "hardback" copy to save with your project for future use! :thumbup:

The more notes I include with each project, the more information it has to fall back on over the years.

Doc

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.