Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am preparing for a power steering swap on my 1950 chev pickup to a later model power steering ( 70-80's 800 box ) and they recommend a 2wd box. I have a 4wd box and they look pretty similar. Does anyone know exactly what the difference is. I know they have different part numbers.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
The big difference is that the 4x4 box only has splines around 1/4 of the sector shaft and the 2wd has splines all the way around with 4 missing splines each 90° apart.

·
Old(s) Fart
6,015 Posts
As noted, the main difference is the output shaft. If you are buying a kit that has a pitman arm, the 2WD arm will not fit a 4WD box. If you are fabbing your own pitman arm, mate the outer end of the early arm with the steering box end of the 4WD arm.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys -- That is the info I wanted and I had thought Joe's answer would be the way I would do it being as the 4x4 box pitman already points the right way. If I have to get a rebuilt I will look at the 2wd as the pitman choice is much greater.

·
Banned
1,971 Posts
just for learning's sake

the 4x4 guys convert to the 4x2 shaft andpitman arm when converting ot crossover steering on their rigs

i have parted billions of the 2wd full size truck boxes out for the 4x4 crowd over the years

so i snag up all 4x2 boxes i come across,

last week i found two

so it goes on..

haha

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.