Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I just purchased a 1930 Model A with a 3.3l Chevy V6 engine, and TH350 trans. I'm considering swapping (in) a 4.3l Chevy in place of the 3.3l. Can anyone tell me if the engine mounts are in the same position on each of these engine blocks? And secondly, Do each of the engine blocks have the same engine mount bolt pattern? So in other words, can I just pull the 3.3l out, and bolt the 4.3 in it's place?

I know that the engine mounts are physically different on the 3.3l's (1978-79 Malibu's only), and the mid-80's to early-90's 4.3l engines. But, my Model A uses a TransDapt (type) flat, 90 degree mount bolted to the engine, and a 90 degree mate, welded to the frame.

I'll get the correct flex plate, as well as all other external pieces, including distributor. The 3.3 is of course, is carbureted, and I'll replace the TBI or CPI on the 4.3 with an Edelbrock manifold and carburetor. No computer/wiring issues here.

I know, I know, I know....the question most everyone asks is, "why not put in a V8?". Well, because A) I love the way the V6 sits in there, with space to work on the engine, and B) I don't want to lose ANY firewall space (I'm tall!), and C) I have other cars with V-8's, including a Corvette with and LS-2. So, if I want speed, I have it I just want a little more power in the Model A, which is a "cruiser".

Thanks everyone

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
I just purchased a 1930 Model A with a 3.3l Chevy V6 engine, and TH350 trans. I'm considering swapping (in) a 4.3l Chevy in place of the 3.3l. Can anyone tell me if the engine mounts are in the same position on each of these engine blocks? And secondly, Do each of the engine blocks have the same engine mount bolt pattern? So in other words, can I just pull the 3.3l out, and bolt the 4.3 in it's place?

I know that the engine mounts are physically different on the 3.3l's (1978-79 Malibu's only), and the mid-80's to early-90's 4.3l engines. But, my Model A uses a TransDapt (type) flat, 90 degree mount bolted to the engine, and a 90 degree mate, welded to the frame.

I'll get the correct flex plate, as well as all other external pieces, including distributor. The 3.3 is of course, is carbureted, and I'll replace the TBI or CPI on the 4.3 with an Edelbrock manifold and carburetor. No computer/wiring issues here.

I know, I know, I know....the question most everyone asks is, "why not put in a V8?". Well, because A) I love the way the V6 sits in there, with space to work on the engine, and B) I don't want to lose ANY firewall space (I'm tall!), and C) I have other cars with V-8's, including a Corvette with and LS-2. So, if I want speed, I have it I just want a little more power in the Model A, which is a "cruiser".

Thanks everyone
Be careful with your pick of a 4.3 engine. After 1995 the changes to this engine make it hard to find compatible heads, intakes, oil pans, front drives etc. Many different port and bolt patterns on the heads. Several different oil pan configurations that require matching starters/flex plates etc.
:pain:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm hoping you're right Poncho62. If I can bolt the 4.3 without all the work, that I would have to have done, this could be a relatively inexpensive swap. Thank you very much

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm on it BOBCRMAN. Since I've sorta been sidelined by eye surgery, I've researched this thing to death (with one eye!). Pretty much what I'm seeing (no pun intended) is that I want the 1993-95 L35. It was installed in C1500 pickups, Astro vans, S-10's, and Blazers. Looks like these engines put out 195-200 HP, with the CPI injection of course. That would be a big improvement over the 100, or so HP that I have now. Somewhere I read that the C1500 truck engines were the best, but I don't recall why, and I didn't bookmark it. Darn it! The 4.3 also comes in a marine version, available from Summit and Jegs, which dyno's at 265 HP, with a carburetor!

Anyway, thank you for your advice. With everyone's help, I'll get this figured out

·
Registered
14,581 Posts

Thanks everyone

Given that the 3.3 is more similar to its V8 SBC cousins than is the 4.3 why not just make life simple and put a V8 in it. Sure it's what everybody does but when you look at the availability of reasonably priced parts that explains why in pretty simple terms. Let's you get it built and back on the street instead of spending a year working out technical details that keep surprising you and your Visa card at every turn.

Bogie

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I understand what you're saying Bogie, but like I said in my first message, I don't want to lose the legroom by moving the firewall back 3 1/2"-4". And, since the I already have the V-6 in there, I don't anticipate any major problems. 4.3 is the same physical size (L x W), and I can bolt my TH350 right up. I've read that I can use the 3.3 exhaust manifolds. So, new starter, water pump, distributor, intake and carb, and I should be OK. Lastly, there are plenty of performance parts available for the 4.3.

If the Flatheads and their parts weren't so expensive, I would go that way. But that route would really cost $$$

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have a 229ci and a 262ci 90*v6, the 262[4.3 for you kids] is of unknown vintage but the number pad is stamped w312THA so hopefully you can decipher that.I dont think its a vortec but it has..throtel body injection,serpintine belt,roller lifters,no counter shaft.The motor mounts bolts,front bolt pattern[water pump ect] look the same, starter motor is in the 11inch position.the oil pan is differant [ one piece seal]. THe pistons are dished and the heads are about 64cc with 1.94/1.50 valves and offset spark plugs, looks like a bolt up to me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's music to my ears gc408. I hope this turns out to be true of the 4.3l (200 c.i.) as well. I guess I'm gonna have to take some detailed pix of my engine and mounts, then go to an Auto Recycler and find one to compare with.
Thanks much

1 - 11 of 11 Posts