Hot Rod Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
with all the mustang 2 front ends being used i was wondering(because i have one) would a chevette front suspension work under a fenderless coupe?..maybe small block.even if it was made wider if needed...i was wondering if even with heavier springs would the a arms hold up or bend?any thoughts?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Could just adapt the Chevette rack-and-pinion to a straight axle. Your other car though, which used pretty much all 'vette parts, looked pretty good with IFS on it.

And yeah, a Chevette can hold up to the weight of a V8, I don't know how long, but V8 Vettes are built pretty often, might give out after a few years though.

·
Newskool
246 Posts
I think it would. Going to highschool I know a bunch of guys with v8's crammed in them and they big the living daylights out of the things. I have yet to see the suspension go on any of them.

Of course they're teenagers with low budgets so keeping the motors running is a whole nother subject :p

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
theres really not much to a front end of a chevette. the upper a arms bolt to the body. i have alway heard sb v8 in chevettes but never seen one yet

·
Member - AMC/Rambler "guru"
1,772 Posts
The upper arms on an MII bolt to the body also, so don't let that stop you! Just get them back in the right place!!

It will still look rough on a fenderless ride because of the bulky looking stamped steel A arms. If you're concerned about weight on the ball joints and such see if you can order Chevette diesel parts. They used an Isuzu 1.8L diesel in 83-85 at least -- I bought a demo 84 model in January 85. The diesel is a lot heavier than the 1.6L four, should be about the same weight as a small block. Ride was rougher but I was amazed at the handling due to the heavy springs and sway bar. I'd had a 76 two door Chevette before, the diesel was a four door. The four door handled and rode a bit better (but as I mentioned rougher) due to the weight and longer wheelbase.

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
topdogger said:
I think it would. Going to highschool I know a bunch of guys with v8's crammed in them and they big the living daylights out of the things. I have yet to see the suspension go on any of them.

Of course they're teenagers with low budgets so keeping the motors running is a whole nother subject :p
a friend of mine's dad owned a junkyard, and they field hopped a junk 2dr chevette, all the time until 1 ball joint snapped

·
Registered
249 Posts
Same thing happened to me right before my old 'vette (which had been to germany, and shipped back) went out for a joy ride. I backed up, put it in drive, drove about ten feet, and i thought i had drove into a hole or something, but the ball joint had exploded, and the whole spindle had came loose, the wheel was pushed up and backwards into the fender. Pretty odd expierince.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Corvette owners and lovers would have their hair turn white and be struck blind if they heard a rational human being refer to a POS like a Chevette as a 'vette. Those who have passed on are spinning in their graves, that's the sound you will hear until this atrocity is abolished.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
pasadenahotrod said:
Corvette owners and lovers would have their hair turn white and be struck blind if they heard a rational human being refer to a POS like a Chevette as a 'vette. Those who have passed on are spinning in their graves, that's the sound you will hear until this atrocity is abolished.
a POS are you kidding those cars are still motoring the welfare back and forth to get their weed.....LOL

·
Registered
249 Posts
And their still motoring as Dune-buggies, farm implements, trucks, and sawmills too.

You can't really kill a Chevette, the engines refuse to die, they still hold together when their floors are completly gone, they still drive fairly straight even when they look like a train has run over them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
ALL stock Chevette coil springs SUCK!!

farna...

I installed a set of MOOG Diesel springs in a 1982 Chevette in 1996, and they were SMASHED FLAT in less than a year-and-a-half. After the first VERY dangerous and scary experience of trying to compress, remove and replace the front coils, I decided that there had to be a safer, easier way. I found it...a set of coils that I customized from another car!!! These springs can be installed WITH NO TOOLS! They are so tight, they nearly tore the stock 155/80/13 tires OFF THE RIMS in a corner!! They WILL NEVER SAG!! I have also modified a set for the rear - I had a complete 229-V6 beneath the back hatch with almost no suspension sag.

Minimum 185/60R14 TIRES for this application, recommend 195/50R15.

·
1,772 Posts
Well, other people have had problems with MOOG replacement springs. I had a Chevette diesel. I seriously doubt you got the right springs. Suppliers have been "compressing" their part numbers for years, rather aggressively over the last five years it seems. Less popular cars (like the Chevette and my Ramblers/AMCs) get hurt the most. The bean counters look at a few part numbers, decide the parts are similar, and drop the least used one, using the more popular part as a "suitable substitute" -- whether it is in reality or not. Customer complaints and returns will resolve the issue! What a way to do business!!

A friend had the opposite experience with his 70 Javelin. Ordered MOOG heavy-duty replacement springs, and they would barely budge even with the V-8 in place. AMCs use the exact same suspension design on all size cars 1970 and later. He apparently got the big car springs, which would be much stiffer, even if they were standard springs. You most likely got standard replacement Chevette springs, and I doubt they were very good quality either! Replacement parts, especially low volume ones, get subbed to a sub who can deliver for the lowest price. You get what you pay for, even if you're a supplier. They rarely pass the savings on to the end user though!

Any time I want springs I custom order from Coil Spring Speialties (coil springs, that is). I've never had a problem with anything from them, and they can wind almost any spring you want. They only make progressive rate springs, but do an excellent job of translating the old single rate springs to progressive. They also have manufacturers data going way back. I won't buy over the counter replacements -- the CSS springs cost about the same, and you're buying straight from the manufacturer, who stands behind their products. One person did have a problem with a set of springs, but they made him a new set after figuring out what the problem was. The car sat to high, even after 30 days of settling (which they suggested). They still took them back and sent new corrected ones two months after the first ones were sent, installed, and allowed to settle.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
whats the address for the spring company..ill give them a call...i dont have a small block i got a 460 ford i am trying to use and that it one heavy SOB

·
1,772 Posts
Eaton is good according to others I know whov'e used them. They also make leaf springs. Coil Spring Specialties only makes coils, www.coilsprings.com.

·
Registered
3 Posts
MOOGs were right...

I verified the specs of the MOOG springs (If I remember, they were 830lb single-rate coils vs. the stock 760lb), and when installed the car sat 2-3 inches above stock and setteled only about an inch after 30 days. The ride was brutal for those first few weeks!! The coils eventually sagged until the tires were into the fender wells, or almost 6 inches, over the next 24 months. Not a big deal, as MOOG coils come with a lifetime warranty, so I replaced them for free. What I REALLY hated was the extremely unsafe extraction and installation of these coils. So, I spec'd my own single-rate coils, at about 1200lb with an uncompressed height that allows them to be installed (with some minor massaging ;>}~ ) without any spring compressors!! Turns a nightmare 3-hour job into a safe and comfortable one!!

·
1,772 Posts
I've had that same experience with my old Ramblers. The factory "hooks" for compressing the springs brings them down to half the free height. I made new ones that compress just enough to get teh spring in and out with teh suspension bottomed out (shock has to be disconnected to get an extra half inch).

AMC got smart in 1958 and made removable springs seats with two "ears" on opposite sides. The ears have holes in them for a simple hook device. Compress the spring on a press, put the hooks in, and release the press. The hooks have a curved shield in the center to prevent the spring from popping out sideways. Place compressed spring in car, jack up opposite rear corner, and the weight of the car compresses the spring enough to pull the hooks off. To remove one do the same in reverse. The spring is mounted on top of the steering knuckle like an early model Mustang or Falcon, that's why this works. 70 and later used a different setup -- still a high mounted spring but no removable seats. The lower seat is on a pivot like a Mustang II spring, but still on the upper A-arm.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Chevette-SCx said:
I verified the specs of the MOOG springs (If I remember, they were 830lb single-rate coils vs. the stock 760lb), and when installed the car sat 2-3 inches above stock and setteled only about an inch after 30 days. The ride was brutal for those first few weeks!! The coils eventually sagged until the tires were into the fender wells, or almost 6 inches, over the next 24 months. Not a big deal, as MOOG coils come with a lifetime warranty, so I replaced them for free. What I REALLY hated was the extremely unsafe extraction and installation of these coils. So, I spec'd my own single-rate coils, at about 1200lb with an uncompressed height that allows them to be installed (with some minor massaging ;>}~ ) without any spring compressors!! Turns a nightmare 3-hour job into a safe and comfortable one!!

I realize this is an old thread but I am desparate to figure out how to get my front coil springs installed on the 83 Chevette Scooter that I have acquired for a work car. The originals were so worn that after hitting a bump at 50mph I heard a strange noise and after inspecting everything I found that the upper shock tower was cracked in 3 places and so I parked the car. Got a set of new springs and repaired the shock tower and now the hard part starts...I had to undo the upper ball joint from the upper control arm as well as the sway bar, shock, and caliper of course. I finally got the right spring off and it was almost by accident, as I got mad and smacked it with a BFH. I have a set of spring compressors but there doesn't seem to be enough room to operate it efficiently and it sure won't work to put the spring back in as far as I have experienced so far. It dang near broke my pinkie finger already and I know there has to be a smart way to do this. Is there a special sized tool to compress the springs that will fit? The shape of the upper and lower arms and that center rubberbumperholder really make this job a PITA.

Any and all help is soooo appreciated. Gas is killing me right now and I need this car yesterday.

Thanks,
Kim

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Idaho Mopar Man said:
I realize this is an old thread but I am desparate to figure out how to get my front coil springs installed on the 83 Chevette Scooter that I have acquired for a work car. The originals were so worn that after hitting a bump at 50mph I heard a strange noise and after inspecting everything I found that the upper shock tower was cracked in 3 places and so I parked the car. Got a set of new springs and repaired the shock tower and now the hard part starts...I had to undo the upper ball joint from the upper control arm as well as the sway bar, shock, and caliper of course. I finally got the right spring off and it was almost by accident, as I got mad and smacked it with a BFH. I have a set of spring compressors but there doesn't seem to be enough room to operate it efficiently and it sure won't work to put the spring back in as far as I have experienced so far. It dang near broke my pinkie finger already and I know there has to be a smart way to do this. Is there a special sized tool to compress the springs that will fit? The shape of the upper and lower arms and that center rubberbumperholder really make this job a PITA.

Any and all help is soooo appreciated. Gas is killing me right now and I need this car yesterday.

Thanks,
Kim
a pry bar to shoe horn it in and someone there with a floor jack ready. diesel chevette springs are shorter and fatter, and they almost set right in. they also lift the car 1 inch higher than stock. springs from an 83 or 84 dodge ram 50 mini truck(import engine) will work also, they are even shorter and fatter and do set right in. and they will lift the car 2 inches.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.