Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a fully restored 56 Bel Air. Recently it started hesitating when cold or coming off idle. Checked all the basics, points, plugs, wires.

It is also popping back through carb now. This seemed to start and has gotten steadily worse. I really don't want to go into carb, 2 Barrel but am thinking that may be my next step. Suggestions ?

·
Lost in the 60's
15,247 Posts
Welcome to Hotrodders. Best to ask in the Engine forum. But if I were you...I would double check my timing.

·
Registered
342 Posts
If the timing checks okay, the carburator may need a re-build?

The 2bbl they bolted to the V8 265s, and 283s in 1955/6/7 are nothing to re-build. Any parts store should be able to supply a kit although you have to realize any kit you get now, will cover years 19xx - 19xx. (ex. 1955 - 1964)

Yes the kit will fit your carburator, it just won't be year specific like they used to be.

One thing to check for if the carb is an issue is gasoline in the oil. Pull the dip stick and smell it. If you smell gas, you have it in the oil cause the carb flooded. An oil change will be a good thing.

·
Buick Hybrid Guy.
255 Posts
Is it the stock engine? Has it been rebuilt?

If the timing is too far retared (set back) then it will act just as you've described...

If it's the stock engine I'd bet your cam's going flat. The oil today has been mandated to loose some of the old chemicals for emmissions that allowed flat tappet style cams to live. Now that the chemicals are gone alot of the older flat style cams are going flat. All new engines have roller cams that don't wear.

Timing first... that's the easy... then if it's ok... Go to the carb...
If it's too lean it'll pop back through the intake.

Start easy...
E-mail me anytime [email protected].com
Hope that helps, Scott~

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Scott, engine all new, have checked timing, right on the money. I'm thinking like you the carb is running too lean. May have something stopped up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts