Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the board. I recently (last night) brought home an 1980 Z28 that needs a new engine. I would like to put in a 350 because I think I have located the original engine (It has a wounded 305 in it now).
I am at the point now where I enjoy going quick rather than top speed. I am also on a budget that directs me to spend on the best return on investment.
Reviewing the information available over the past year, I have found it difficult to determine how I want to proceed. I have a reputable machine shop and several friends that are experienced engine builders (between two of them approximately 30 to 40 builds).
I do not want to seem totally ignorant when discussing this project with them, and have a very general understanding of engines. I have helped on several builds, but never purchased or selected engine components which should compliment each other.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Tay

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Tay.
Welcome to Hotrodders.
If your looking for low end horse and tourque, try putting together an engine with a cam designed in the off idle to like 1500 rpm to 5500-6000 rpm range. I like the 480X280 range type of cams myself.
If your not running a blower or nitrous then hop on ebay and get you a decent hypertectic rebuild for around 300 bucks.
You wont need huge valved expensive heads either. Get some 305 heads and use flat top pistons will get you around 10-1 compression.
You will want a dual plane intake. A nice Edelbrock perormer rpm will be nice.
Top it off witha Edelbrock 600 carb, headers, good ignition and nice rear gearing and it will run nice.
For how everthing works you should get a basic engine rebuild book and maybe a rebuilding the small block Chevy book.
Just remember on parts that bigger isnt always better. Match parts that will get you low end rather than top end. Goodluck, HG

:D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33620&item=7922689653&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33620&item=7922401070&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33620&item=7922358190&rd=1

Heres a few ideas for ya. Just keep the cam in the right rpm range. 470-480 lift by 270-280ish range. HG

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HemmieGremmie,
Thanks for the quick reply. It sounds like you are giving me advice that is just what I wanted. I did "read" the rebuilding the small block Chevrolet by David Vizard - it seems to have alot of info.
Any other ideas from anyone?

Thanks again

·
"May the Schwartz be with you"
1,053 Posts
Read as many recommended books as possible, talk to others. There is no danger of having too much knowledge.

First thing to do is to decide exactly what type of use you plan for the vehicle (dayly driver, some track, etc...). When you know what you are going to be using the car for, you can then decide what you will require from the engine. This will get you started on the right track.

·
Member# 3287
2,625 Posts
Welcome Tay.

Vizard's book is an excellent primer. My copy is full of greasy fingerprints and I still refer to it once in a while.

If you have found your original engine, you probably should ask about its history. If it has been bored to the max, mashed and gashed, then you should consider starting with another block/engine. Your friends will be invaluable there.

You can find rebuild kits for 350s for fairly inexpensive prices. I've used Summit kits a couple times with good results. I've always been slightly leery of EBay kits because you really don't have any real recourse if the parts aren't what you wanted.

It would probably be best if you could come back with some specific questions or areas you need help with. There's so much knowledge here on the board and everyone is good about taking time to research and help others.

There are no dumb questions.

Good luck.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Use of vehicle

I will be using the car for occassional driving. I would like to have a "toy" to take out occassionally (registering as classic car - one day a week). I don't want to go 100 mph, but do want to be "quick." Fuel economy isn't a large concern (until gas goes to $6.00 per gallon), and I want to basically get a plan before I start.
Does anyone / any company have a parts list for a rebuild to develop torque? I think that the high rear gears probably could be changed to gain some effect of quickness, and I will take a long as it needs to save toward this goal. It helps to have a plan to save and work toward.
Thanks for the input so far.

Tay

·
Registered
122 Posts
I just got done building a pretty low tech 383 stroker (350 block with 400 crank and special 383 pistons). I was pleasantly surprised with the amount of torque this setup makes! You know what they say...........there is no replacement for displacement! I would research the stroker option if I were you. You also need to research heads and plan on spending a little money there. Also make sure you are at 9.5:1 compression for pump gas, higher if you want to run an additive (probably not) mine is 9.8:1 and I got lucky in the fact that it runs fine on pump gas with no pinging. Some say you are OK up to 10:1. 9.5 is a little safer probably. Low end torque is made quite simply by displacement and compression ratio. Peak horsepower is another story! That requires good flowing, big valved heads. High rise intakes, long tube headers with non restrictive exhaust, a big cam (which by the way robs low end torque), expensive valve train (so it can hold up the the high RPM's), stall converters, etc.
Knowledge is power. Just keep studying before you start investing, and you will do fine! Just remember that there are some simple laws of physics in place here. Why doesn't the factory put high horsepower motors in every vehicle? They don't hold up as well, and don't have as much low end torque. They also don't run as well at idle, or produce enough vacuum at idle to run stuff like power brakes! There is a give and take with every modification available. Often it is a torque vs HP tradeoff. The other tradeoff is power vs $$$$. You also have to think about longevity. 700 hp motors would probably never make it anywhere near 100,000 miles. Also, find out what your rear end gear ratio is. You may want to change that also. A lower gear ratio (higher number) will make a car quicker also. You can have a bad *** motor, but if your rear gear is a 2.56:1 ratio, you wont have much get up and go! a 4.11 is a pretty good gear, 3.73's are OK too. You can get crazy with 4.56 and higher, but they aren't really to driveable on the highway!
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
One thing to.
If your not driving the car much, then youd be surprised how well a basic stock rebuilt 350 with 4.56 gears will pull ya outta the hole. HG

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.