Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having spoken to several people, I think that I'm headed in the 383 direction for an engine which will develop torque. Any suggestions for Head / Cam / Intake / Carb / Header / Any components?

Thanks in advance,

Tay

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
question is quite vegue. What kind of application? Do you just want more overall torque, more peak torque or a grunt, low-end stump puller?

K

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry about the unclear post.

I am going for low end takeoff in a 1980 Camaro, quick starts, not top speed - automatic transmission - 10 bolt posi.

Thanks

Tay

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
yeah, but with a car like that you can have a bit more cam, you really don't need an RV or anything with the amount of cubes. For a quick start I'd use a 274 comps and a decent stall, you'll rost your tires off the line.

Depending on what kind of "top speed" you want, you can use different gear ratios. I would plan on a redline of about 5500 and see how far you get with that-

K

·
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net
1,742 Posts
It depends on how much money you have. If you have alot, I would go with this:

AFR 180cc heads($1300 for the street porting)
Performer RPM airgap intake,
XR270HR cam (218,[email protected], .495 .502 lift)
holley 700-750 carb

If you have limited funds this:
Vortec heads ( $630 with the spring upgrade from scoggin dickey)
Performer RPM intake
XE268H cam (224, 230 @.050, .477 .480 lift)
holley 700-750 carb

1 5/8" headers on either combo

Both motors would make over 500ft.lbs. of tq
the AFR combo would probably have 50-75 more hp though.

Both of these combos will start making power pretty much at an idle, and make power to around 5000-5500 RPM. If that is to low for you, you would just want to go with a slightly larger cam and heads.

Good luck
Adam

1 - 5 of 5 Posts