Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
"But how do it know?"
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From Hot Rod magazine's Facebook: "Chevrolet Debuts Two Compact Coupe Concepts".

Code 130R concept looks like it is aimed at the Scion FRS / Subaru BRZ, while the Tru 140S seems to be targeting Hyundai's latest in the Veloster. Is Chevy/GM simply responding to the latest trends by playing catch up, or uping the game?

If the Code130R makes production, I hope it puts out more than the measly 150 hp, and something higher than that of the last Cobalt SS.

·
www.generationhighoutput. com
897 Posts
The RWD Coupe reminds me of the BMW 1M

I could deal with 150hp as long as they kept the weight low and the price under $25k.

The other car looks cool. but seems like kind of a poser. An awd system would really help it seem as sporty as it looks.

·
"But how do it know?"
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My initial reaction was that the RWD coupe (Code 130R) somewhat resembled the RX-8, at least from the front. But the BMW 1-series seems very much similar in size.

A light-weight model with 150 hp should be sweet daily driver that people wouldn't mind hopping up, I think. Might even make a nice track toy. The same car with a nice turbo-four with upwards of 260 hp (the rating for the most recent turbo Eco 4 engine) would put the V6 Camaro out of business.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,854 Posts
The 130 model reminds me of the Camaro/Vega debacle years ago, G.M. cashed in on the looks of the 2nd generation Camaro with the Vega. Let's hope for a decent car if it makes it into production. A higher horse power fwd car doesn't make sense to me when the cars can't handle the H.P. they generate now without breaking parts. A rwd car would be cool but probably won't see production because of the cost.

·
"But how do it know?"
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dinger said:
The 130 model reminds me of the Camaro/Vega debacle years ago, G.M. cashed in on the looks of the 2nd generation Camaro with the Vega. Let's hope for a decent car if it makes it into production. A higher horse power fwd car doesn't make sense to me when the cars can't handle the H.P. they generate now without breaking parts. A rwd car would be cool but probably won't see production because of the cost.
Good point, never even thought of that. GM also seems to have done that back in the 90s with the LT1 4th gen Camaros and the Geo Storms.

I personally can't see GM doing a cheap RWD coupe either, thought it would be interesting to see what they can come up with. Then there is always the concern that the Vette folks might cry foul. It could of course be a Ford Probe of sorts, as when Ford at one point thought of replacing the Mustang with a fwd sports coupe.

Of the two, the Veloster wana-be most likely has the best shot at production, pending how well the Veloster actually does. I don't think I've seen one on the road yet.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts