Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking for opinions here. Working on my 36 chevy pickup,and once I got it fired up and going I found the rear gears are way to tall. 70 in 3rd start loosing speed in 4th, and who knows where 5th is. I also have the correct rear end but it is 4" to narrow. OK opinions, would it be less work to just cut the axle tubes and swap the whole pumpkin or just change the gears out. Everything is pre-setup one way, time consuming the other.

·
Registered
14,487 Posts
Just looking for opinions here. Working on my 36 chevy pickup,and once I got it fired up and going I found the rear gears are way to tall. 70 in 3rd start loosing speed in 4th, and who knows where 5th is. I also have the correct rear end but it is 4" to narrow. OK opinions, would it be less work to just cut the axle tubes and swap the whole pumpkin or just change the gears out. Everything is pre-setup one way, time consuming the other.
GM used some pretty tall gears and the engine is still capable of accelerating the vehicle in the upper gears, although given those are proabably automatics which allow the engine some rpm slippage. But still???

What does the correct rear end but is 4 inches too narrow mean? This sounds like a fitment problem that is separate from a gear ratio problem?

Bogie

1 - 2 of 2 Posts