Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve purchased a ’75 Chevelle for parts for my ’72 Nova. Besides the engine and trans, I’d like to take the posi unit from the Chevelle’s rear axle. Both cars have 10 bolt 8.5”axles. I’ve never taken apart a rear end.
My question is, if the posi case is removed, can the car still be towed or winched onto a flat bed for so I can dispose of it to a wrecking yard?

·
Licenced Automotive Technician
1,625 Posts
If the truck slings the car from the rear end, it could be towed, depending on how far. If you are not keeping your open housing, pull all the parts you want to keep, stick the axle gears back in and stuff the old axles and c-clips back in and you could easily winch it onto anything you want.

·
Registered
977 Posts
sbchevfreak said:
If the truck slings the car from the rear end, it could be towed, depending on how far. If you are not keeping your open housing, pull all the parts you want to keep, stick the axle gears back in and stuff the old axles and c-clips back in and you could easily winch it onto anything you want.
I agree with what you said except that you will also need the differental cross shaft in place to keep the axles from drifting inward and the C clips from falling out. It would be best if the spider gears were installed also.

·
auto/truck/equipment tech.
107 Posts
If both cars have the same axle, why not take the whole thing out? If you just take the posi unit out, then you have to set up the rear end when you put it in the other housing...and I dont know about you, but I hate doing that...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies

I wish the axles were identical!

While both are 10 bolt 8.5", the Chevelle is 2 inches wider and has coil springs, compared to the Nova which uses leafs.

·
auto/truck/equipment tech.
107 Posts
ooh...
lack of knowledge on my part there...never looked under a chevelle, although I do have a nova out back...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts