Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a Chevy 292, supposedly from a C60 truck. The block casting number (3921970) and head casting number (3927763). The block casting number indicate that the the engine was manufactured between 1963-1976. The head casting number indicates a manufacturing date between 1967-1972. The crank has 3 dowel pins and it came with a generator, I am guessing that it is most likely from mid '60's.

The block is Chevy orange. The head is a blue/silver.

Ideas why? Replacement head?

When did Chevy use blue/silver for their engines?

When did Chevy convert from generators to alternators?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting, thank you for the information, Jalopy.

Is there anything I should be concerned with having this head on the 292?

Assuming that the short block is stock, what kind of compression ratio would I be having? I am purely guessing that the original head was probably somewhere in the 76cc range.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I'm not sure what the differences are in the heads, but years ago i used the original head off of my 1964 nova 194 motor on a 250 motor and it upped the compression. I know some 283 and 307 v8 parts interchange. You'll have to do some research on what parts, because that was twenty years ago that i did that. I used a v8 bell housing and clutch and 4speed from a vega. with the 6's good low tq and low gear from the low gear of the vega tranny, It realy pulled out of the hole in a hurry.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.