Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first things first, i've never worked on a manual transmission before. i'm stuck at work, i'm poor, and i just happened to have a 9/16 wrench in my car, but that's it. it seems like this should be an easy thing to do, but i want to be sure i do it right, so i'm coming to you guys.

here's the problem

ok, there are 2 shifter arms on the tranny, the bolt on the rear shifter arm came loose, and when i tightened it, it moved the shifter. now, apparently, my car is trying to go two different directions? how do i find neutral on the tranny itself, and how do i get the stick to match? thanks!

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
7,806 Posts
Move the linkage forward as far as it will go to engage a gear then move it back on position. You either go one forward or one back with the miidle being neutral. The most forward linkage is 1 and reverse while the rear linkage is second and third.

·
Member# 3287
2,625 Posts
No, no.

The rear shift arm is for 1st and reverse. The front one is 2 and 3.

As stated, the shift arm has three positions. With the column shifter in neutral, move the shift arm to the middle detente (position) and connect the shift linkage to the arm.

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
Tightening that bolt tends to force the trans into reverse. You just reinvented the trans-brake.:D All you need to do is get under the car & push the lever on the trans back to the neutral position (one notch counterclockwise).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts