Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any body built one of these? do they compare with ford? im looking at one for sale. its a 31 chevy 3 window.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
:)

Fun wise ... I see no reason that the 31 Chevrolet 3W coupe could not be as much fun as a Ford 3W coupe like the one shown above ... but the 31 Chevy bodies have a LOT of wood in them. If the wood is good ... and the car is priced right ... GO FOR IT :D

BUT ...
There is not as much after market support for the Chevrolet bodies as the Ford bodies. Back in the old days ... the V8 Ford flathead was the Hot Rodder's choice ... and therefore the Ford bodies were more popular. Traditionally ... Old Hot Rods were generally Fords so NOW ... the Fords are more popular with the majority of rodders. Brookville Roadster is even reproducing the 3W bodies in steel @ 25 grand each. They have a waiting list of over 300.

Bodies other than Fords from that era bring less money, as a general rule.

This 32 3W is at 50 thousand plus and has NOT met the reserve price yet :(

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1932...35QQihZ011QQcategoryZ6057QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

·
Registered
366 Posts
I would agree, if it's in good shape...go for it. THe Chevy's did have quite a bit more wood in them, and back in the day that made them popular as they didn't rattle and squeak like the Ford's (tin lizzy). But as the years went by the wood would deteriorate. Personally I nothing against the Fords but do get tired of seeing tons and tons of them in every streetrod mag I buy. IT's nice to see something different. Good luck

Barry

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
If you are buying this car to have a great time in go for it. If you are buying it as an investment forget it. What I am seeing is something that will give you a lot of good times in the future. Good times in the remainder of the build and good times while driving it. As Henry will tell you channeled rods are not for everyone. The late 20's and early 30's were not big cars. Reducing the interior space makes them even smaller. If you like the body style and can fit in it comfortably go ahead and buy it. Make sure to get every possible piece of information you can about the car. Write it down! It will help in the future when you need to match up or replace parts.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
I would say that most of the hard work has been done. That thing would be a killer rod with anything other than a small block Chevy. A 348 with tri-power comes to mind as a good, inexpensive and DIFFERENT way to go.

Just a suggestion but if the car is reasonably priced then go for it.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
homebrew, i always buy for fun, thanks for the input, i go pick it up saturday in carlsbad,nm. cant wait.

·
Registered
59 Posts
chevy 3 window

I agree with Barry , thats why I bought my 33 chevy 5 window back in 84 , still have it , Good luck with your 3 window, the more chevys on the road and the car shows
the better :) :) :)

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what do you guys think this car is worth? its got a rebuilt 318-auto- 31 chevy 3 window , 4 inch chop,

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I'm more of a Ford guy but 32 Ford 3 windows are just in the stupid money price range these days. The Chevy's look good and you have a good start there. The only thing I see wrong is the radiator placement. 30s cars with the radiator much further forward than the axle centerline just look like a mutt to me. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
willowbilly3 said:
The only thing I see wrong is the radiator placement. 30s cars with the radiator much further forward than the axle centerline just look like a mutt to me. Keep us posted.
yea that will be one of the first things i do along with a suicide front end.

·
Registered
59 Posts
3 window chevy

Don't plan on using the parts , the car comes with. Do plan on hitting the car
shows and swap meets . :) also ck carnut.com , See what a 31 3 window
chevy looks like complete. Make your comparison from there.

·
Administrator
18,397 Posts
pi71 said:
what do you guys think this car is worth? its got a rebuilt 318-auto- 31 chevy 3 window , 4 inch chop,
A Chevy with MOPAR power.....................I'm going to slash my wrists now........ :D

·
R Gassman
21 Posts
3 window chevy

We picked two up 31 5 window coupes up this fall one stock 99% complete the other a pile metal, and didn't break the bank, replacing wood is definitely a challenge but looks like that has been done as you said, I would jump on it if the price is right you don't see many 31 Chevy's on the street and it's nice to see some variety.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
wayne gillis said:
Don't plan on using the parts , the car comes with. Do plan on hitting the car
shows and swap meets . :) also ck carnut.com , See what a 31 3 window
chevy looks like complete. Make your comparison from there.
huh? what parts..

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hey guys how hard is it to remove the independent front suspension and add a suicide front or drop axle?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts