Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
am i to understand to build a 301 you can use a 283 block bore it out to 4.00 and use domed pistons in a nutshell

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
:D

When the hot rodders bored a 283 to 4" and used a 3 inch crank........they called it a 301 :rolleyes:

When General Motors did the same thing in 1967 for the Z28.........they called it the 302

:thumbup:

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
Domed pistons have nothing to do with cubic inch.

283cid 3-7/8" bore 3" stroke
327cid 4" bore 3.25" stroke
350cid 4" bore 3.5" stroke

Bore a 283 out to 4" and you have a 301 (302)
or use an early small journal 327 4" bore block with the 283 crank and you also have a 301(302)

In 68 Chevy made a specific large journal crank in 3" stroke for the Z/28 302cid engine. This crank carried over to 69 and was dropped in 70 for a 350cid Z28.

An original undamaged 302 crank will bring a small fortune at a swap meet, or on Ebay.

Vince

·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
302/Z28 said:
Domed pistons have nothing to do with cubic inch.

283cid 3-7/8" bore 3" stroke
327cid 4" bore 3.25" stroke
350cid 4" bore 3.5" stroke

Bore a 283 out to 4" and you have a 301 (302)
or use an early small journal 327 4" bore block with the 283 crank and you also have a 301(302)

In 68 Chevy made a specific large journal crank in 3" stroke for the Z/28 302cid engine. This crank carried over to 69 and was dropped in 70 for a 350cid Z28.

An original undamaged 302 crank will bring a small fortune at a swap meet, or on Ebay.

Vince
so breakin it down barney style i can use the 283 with same crank just bore it out to 4.00 yeah

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
Be advised, not all 283 blocks will allow a bore of 4". We used to play it safe and punch them out to 292cid. Set up properly, they ran just as good as a 302. They were high revving suckers though. I had a 56 210 sedan with a 292 in it in high school. It had a 4:11 gear and a Muncie 4 speed. I typically took it to an honest 7 grand before I power shifted. Every once and a while I would mis a gear and the tach would swing wildly. The little 292 never let go and was still running strong when I sold it to enter the Air Force in 1969.

I used to know how to tell the 283 blocks that would go to 4", but I have since forgotten how.

Vince

·
Registered
120 Posts
You all remember the guy who told us awhile ago that he had bored and stroked his 350 and made a 454 small block? hahahahahhaha where is he now? maybe he can give advise on his boring knowledge. hee hee hee:D

·
Member# 3287
2,625 Posts
The problem with building a 302 is the cost of the pistons...and they're hard to find.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Re: 301 pistons

defilade said:
i saw em on summit racing website trw speed pros 300 bucks approximately for 8
But you will need 9:confused:

My dad ran a 301 in his '56 in the 60's. Never had any problem with it, but he also said he ofcourse was always working on it....then again things where cheaper and simpler then.

·
Registered
91 Posts
301 is a Pontiac engine most commonly found in early 80's Trans Ams. I transplanted one into my 80 Grand Prix and stuck a Turbo on it. It would go like stink but a plain ol 350 has more jam to it :D Stock 301 puts out 210 HP

·
Registered
724 Posts
dubie said:
301 is a Pontiac engine most commonly found in early 80's Trans Ams. I transplanted one into my 80 Grand Prix and stuck a Turbo on it. It would go like stink but a plain ol 350 has more jam to it :D Stock 301 puts out 210 HP
Thats not the 301 we are talking about here

·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: Re: 301 pistons

BoomerADF said:
But you will need 9:confused:

My dad ran a 301 in his '56 in the 60's. Never had any problem with it, but he also said he ofcourse was always working on it....then again things where cheaper and simpler then.
rats i dont have enough for all 9

·
Mekanicus Automotive Group
178 Posts
Chevy 301 and 2

For the past six seasons, we've been successfully racing a 302 in a '67 Trans-Am series Camaro on the Vintage roadrace circut.Yes, the crank itself is quite pricey, we have three incase we destroy one. The block however, we run a 4-bolt 350 block, which is the same bore as the 302. AS for pistons on a 302, you can get a set of aluminum ones from Ross, but be advised, the run about 600 bucks a set. We had to have ours cutom tailored to our engine, because we're running 6.5" rods.
If you're looking to make something close to a 302, find you a big-journal 307 from 1968. They have the same bore as the 283, but the stroke of the 327. With a hotter cam and double-hump heads, you can easily claim 319hp at the flywheel. I know that because I've done it, and have the engine safely nestled in a '68 camaro, numbers matching.
Making a 283 run like mad is no hard task. The safest way to do it, though not the most cost efective, is find a set of Powerpack Corvette heads from '59, and the CompCams copy of the Duntov 30/30 cam with solid lifters. Be careful on the newer double hump heads with big valves, the cylinder bore can shroud the valves and you've gained nothing.

Speedshift.

·
Registered
230 Posts

I had a 66 Chev pickup with a 301. It was a bored out 283 and it went like a bat out of hell. It ran warm though and I still have the scar from the headers I got when the clutch linkage let go in traffic. It would destroy 3 speed truck trannies constantly so I put in a truck 4 speed and it could not do it either. It needed a muncie m22 . The last thing I did was try to fit the milled heads back in when the intake was not matched well and I sold the truck cheap. Ah youth.

·
Banned
1,828 Posts
HemmiGremmie said:
You get a 302 with a 283 and 327 crank. Not sure, but I dont remember a 301 Chevy. Anyone else? HG

265 ... 060 over I believe is what you are looking for not an uncommon combo where i came from

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just dug out this old post. I have a 292 in my '66 ELCamino and I love it, it's the original engine, A while back I bought another '66 283 engine in case I ever blow this thing up or whatever and it's been sitting for a long time, so My thoughts right now are to build it as a 301 like we did way back in the day and I found this quite interesting. My thoughts for this motor are as follows - bore to 4", use the stock small journal crank, but balance the rotating assembly and use forged pistons with good rods and ARP bolts everywhere. I'm thinking of using a set of Vortec heads that have had a little porting and polishing done to them and they are fitted with 1.94 Intakes vales and (I believe 1>60 exhausts. I really wanted to use an old "Gems" dual plane, dual quad intake I have with a couple of small Holeys, but I'm thinking the old style intake probably won't bolt up to the Vortecs. Are there bushings available to adapt this? I want to use a roller cam and lifters and I have roller rockers on the vortecs already. The cam specs are up in the air right now - suggestions? This is to be backed up by a 350 turbo with about 2500 stall speed back to a 4.88:1 9" Ford rear. All of this stuffed into a chopped and channelled Model T coupe with no hood, and sitting on a 1.5 xx 3 rectanglar tube frame and a sparse interior with a 4 point roll cage to stiffen the chassis a bit. I'm taliking very light weight here. (tubular dropped axle up front on a buggy spring. ANy thoughts on the motor and especially the choice of cams would be appreciated. I purposely want to use the small high revving small block because that's what we did years ago and I'm an old dude trying to relive my past. I would like to update to a roller motor and make use of some new technology here though. Did I mention 10.5 or 11:1 compression ratio? Thanx

1 - 20 of 43 Posts