Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
64Joker
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1964 Chevy Impala SS

Are the left & right manifold exhaust to flange connections & parts the same?

The passenger side appears to have a spacer below the exhaust manifold, so I believe the config goes like this: exhaust m., spacer & flange.

When I installed a new gasket on the drivers side, the spacer is not there! Not sure if previous owner took a shortcut!

attached is a pic of the passenger side, the red dot is where there appears to be a spacer above the flange!?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
It’s the square piece in that link pic.
it’s used to hold the flapper closed on the valve.
your spacer might be an adapted spacer with the valve and weight removed and welded up.
the heat riser is used to deflect exhaust heat thru the intake under the plenum to heat up the intake. You need that heat when the motor is cold to help keep the fuel vaporized.

·
64Joker
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One final question, does the flange have to be installed a certain way? It’s triangle shape but the 2 lips appear to be a size/height than the 3rd!

·
64Joker
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I lied, this is the final question! 🥴

Besides the flange (donut), should there also be a cardboard/metal gasket between the manifold exit to exhaust pipe? There wasn’t one there, so I’m guessing it either disintegrated or the previous owner didn’t install one!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts