Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Chevy small block 327 in a 1970 Camero Z28 and the other night the Harmonic Balancer came loose and fell off as I was driving. I looked for it on the side of the road but no luck. Now I need to replace it and the belt pulley but I don't know if it was a 6", 6.75" or 8".

Any suggestions how I can tell what size the motor needs? The end of the crank is threaded.

Thanks

·
Hammer and a torch
1,254 Posts
If its a pre 70 engine it most likely came with a small 6" balancer... But the timing tab as stated would also basicly tell you what it had... You can use a balancer from a 350 but might have to remove the timing tab and install an aftermarket tab...?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I have another problem.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I measured from the center of the crank to the timing tab and am somewhat sure that it was a 6" harmonic balancer. I have another issue now though. How do I install a new one? The hole in the end of the crank is not threaded.

Anyone have any idea how to install? How is the balancer held on?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.