Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Chevy small block 327 in a 1970 Camero Z28 and the other night the Harmonic Balancer came loose and fell off as I was driving. I looked for it on the side of the road but no luck. Now I need to replace it and the belt pulley but I don't know if it was a 6", 6.75" or 8".

Any suggestions how I can tell what size the motor needs? The end of the crank is threaded.

Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
You should be able to get a size with the timing tab. Measure it from the tab to the crank center (minus a bit for clearence) and times two should make it clear what size was there before.

·
Hammer and a torch
1,254 Posts
If its a pre 70 engine it most likely came with a small 6" balancer... But the timing tab as stated would also basicly tell you what it had... You can use a balancer from a 350 but might have to remove the timing tab and install an aftermarket tab...?

·
Registered
72 Posts
balancer

My 327 is a 69, and it has a 6.75 dia bal. If you go on ebay you can probably find a new one for your ride....JMHO.......GlennK

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! I have another problem.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I measured from the center of the crank to the timing tab and am somewhat sure that it was a 6" harmonic balancer. I have another issue now though. How do I install a new one? The hole in the end of the crank is not threaded.

Anyone have any idea how to install? How is the balancer held on?

·
Registered
529 Posts
"The hole in the end of the crank is not threaded."

That's why the first one fell off.
Thread the crank to prevent it from falling off again.
JA

1 - 6 of 6 Posts