Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Real Trucks have Bowties
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone explain the difference between a 4 bolt chevy motor and a 2 bolt. Is a 4 bolt chevy motor that much better?? I 'm putting the motor in a 53 Chevy pick-up. I am not looking for a race motor,maybe around 300 horse.

·
CLICK ON MY AVATAR
321 Posts
2 bolt is fine for your application.4 bolt is much stronger....almost all sbc race engines are 4 bolt.bm

·
Registered
724 Posts
2 bolt mains are very strong and can handle more power than most people realise. 4 bolt mains are generally stonger but are more prone to cracking in cirtain blocks than the equiviant 2blt main (400sb). You can always install studs or even get it machined for spayed main bearing caps if you need really strong.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Ive built & raced plenty of 2 bolts & never a problem, Id be more concerned about a 2 bolt in a heavy towing situation ,than a street performace situation, or even mild brkt racing

·
Real Trucks have Bowties
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thx all...I just have a opportunity at a 2 bolt Chevy 350 crated motor with low milage and good price....

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
In a street motor you would never know the difference. 4 bolt has turned into a buzz word and people think they have to have one to build a street engine. Just like 2.02 heads. I used to have to argue guys down from wanting them on a street engine/daily driver when in reality the 1.94s are much happier for low end and mid range.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts