Hot Rod Forum banner

Chevy 350 backfiring through carb no start

257 4
I recently removed an painted my intake manifold, after reinstalling everything it will no longer start. I’m pretty positive I have it back in time, although I’m relatively new to this as this is my first project car and I’m only 19 years old. I do suspect it to be a distributor issue, it’s an MSD PN8361. So if anyones has any advice or tips it’d be greatly appreciated.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1978 Chevrolet Corvette L-48
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I recently removed an painted my intake manifold, after reinstalling everything it will no longer start. I’m pretty positive I have it back in time, although I’m relatively new to this as this is my first project car and I’m only 19 years old. I do suspect it to be a distributor issue, it’s an MSD PN8361. So if anyones has any advice or tips it’d be greatly appreciated.
Forgot to mention it gets close to starting an will spit gas through the carb and sputter.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Out of time is typical when you R&R the SBC distributor. The oil pump drive shaft is a slotted drive to the distributor shaft. As tge distributor is pulled out it the spiral gears rotate the distributor shaft which carries the pump drive such that when reinstalling the distributor it’s at least a tooth off. This is over 50 degrees crankshaft so it’s way off.

The other hazard with the SBC that like all 4 cycle engines the TDC timing mark passes the timing tab twice in the full 720 degree operating cycle. With the SBC the marks will align for cylinder number 1 and again for cylinder number 6 do in addition to getting a gear tooth off it’s also easy to get the distributor aligned for number 6 instead of number 1.

Thus the importance of marking where the distributor housing is pointing as well as getting the rotor ready to fire number 1 and marking that position on the distributor housing. Then of course refraining from rotating the crsnkshaft when the distributor is removed.

Using an oil pump priming tool is a good way to reindex the oil pump drive to get the distributor back to alignment.

Here is a video of a trick for next time that is worth knowing.

Once you view this how the distributor is aligned makes sense.

Bogie

·
Registered
357 Posts
Get #1 cyl on compression stroke use a starter Button one clipn on pos bat cable the other on starter terminal closes to the block . Put finger on spark plug hole click slowly when you feel compression watch the vibration dampner. Click the button slowly until you line up the timing marks at 0 Tdc. Reference the #1 spark plug tower on cap. Set cap in place on dist and mark #1 cyl location on dist base just below where cap sits. Magic marker..Lower dist down it meshes with cam gear. With rotor pointing to #1 cyl location you made If dist doesn't go all the way down hold light pressure on dist housing and click starter button it will go in all the way. Adjust vac advance to point to pointtPut on hold down lightly tighten bolt. Install cap. Start engine adjust timing with timing light. #1 cyl drivers side front cyl. #6 cyl third cyl. back.pass side.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts