Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a chevy 350, it's pretty much stock except for headers, edelbrock performace intake and carb. What would be the cheapest combination of stuff that would give me 50 to a 100 more horse. Thanks for the help.

·
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net
1,742 Posts
Like Death rattle said, nitrous would be the cheapest, about $500 + installation. Beyond that, a Vortec top end kit would probably be your best bet. You would have to buy a new intake though. As far as parts go, you would probably be looking at around $1300 for the upgraded heads, intake, bolts and gaskets, rocker arms, valve covers and cam kit. You could also get a set of iron eagles along with a new cam. You could use your current intake that way, but out of jegs, the heads are $1030, and a cam would still be around $200 which is what I assumed for the vortec combo. I think each of these combos would perform about the same, but I think the vortec kit would give you a snappier feeling motor on the low end with about the same max hp. The dart heads on the other hand, will give you a little more room to move, as people usually dont port Vortec heads. They can crack if they are heated up too often, which would not be that great if you just put $800 in porting into them.

Adam

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
firestone said:
and a cam would still be around $200

Adam

Double and Death are correct.
Not much will give you 100 hp cheap. "Inexpensive" is in the mind of the buyer. The rule of thumb average for hard parts is $ 30 per each horsepower. You might have a better average by changing heads.

Just a question, not a criticism:

How can you change a cam, lifters, springs, timing set for $ 200 ? Or are you suggesting just stabbing in a cam using the old stuff?
I guess you could use one of those generic cam/lifter kits for $ 89.95 and hope for the best.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.