Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up hotrodders, well this is the story on my nova
Bought from a widow, car sat in garage for 8 yrs
350 (71" 4bolt main, 4bbl) w/ 305 Heads (4416) , Edelbrock 1407, weiand a xcelerator intake manifold, summit 1103 camshaft, stock dual exhaust exiting behind rear wheels, headers, HEI distributor, Rear Gears not sure ( also never removed the oil that I bought it with, someone told me not to mess with that since the old oil has been in their without change so long that it could damage it with new oil??) HELP

Timing @ 8 degrees, total timing @ 32 idle @ 550 running VR-1 10-30 oil

Problem- Accelerator Pedal feels Hard , also I feel like it has no Power (like it has such a slow start)

·
Registered
380 Posts
I should change the rear gear oriel, why would I bring the timing up till it pings isn't that bad, what's the purpose of this
You may not have enough timing. The only other clue is the hard accelerator which indicates a problem with the carb or the linkage. Examine it and work it by hand, spray some carb cleaner on it. The accelerator pump may be gummed up from old, dirty gas.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
I would rev up the engine to 4000 or 5000 rpm and see what the max timing is. I recommend setting max timing at 38 degrees.

Buy an adjustable vacuum advance canister for your hei and set it to add about 12 degrees and use a manifold vacuum source.

You need to figure out the rear end gear. What rpms is the engine doing at 60 mph? What transmission are you using?

With the engine off, have someone push the gas peddle to the floor. Then you look at the carb to make sure that it is opening all the way.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would rev up the engine to 4000 or 5000 rpm and see what the max timing is. I recommend setting max timing at 38 degrees.

Buy an adjustable vacuum advance canister for your hei and set it to add about 12 degrees and use a manifold vacuum source.

You need to figure out the rear end gear. What rpms is the engine doing at 60 mph? What transmission are you using?

With the engine off, have someone push the gas peddle to the floor. Then you look at the carb to make sure that it is opening all the way.
At 3000rpm it's at 32 , I will adjust it 12 today which will get it at 36 and test drive and see from their... I have auto th350.. Will diagnose pedal to metal off and carburator let's see what's up

Also what is needed to remove rear gear oil and what oil should I use

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I heard it could just be that I might have 2.73 or 3.08 which aren't good at the line and, but good on highway...I have to def find out what gears I have, maybe ill make that my next move

·
The AMC, FORD, & CHEVY Guy??!!
299 Posts
Rebuild the carb. It will corrode and gaskets will harden/leak from sitting.

Check the exhaust/mufflers for restriction (old mufflers rust and plug up)

Put a new air filter on if you haven't already!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.