Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a Chevy small block 4 bolt main. I have a general idea what I want to do with it, but I was wondering if someone had a more rad idea. What would you guys do? When in doubt always turn to the internet.

·
Administrator
9,980 Posts
Moving to Engine forum.... The Introduction forum is not for tech questions. Thanks

Please explain what your plans for the engine

·
More for Less Racer
20,463 Posts
383 stroker, hands down.

Pick your performance envelope and RPM range and choose your parts towards that goal.

What's it going into and what are your expectations?? 350 HP...450 HP....550 HP?? More?

·
Registered
62 Posts
i'd put it on criaglist and pick up a 4.8/5.3
i love an old sbc/bbc, but i'll never build another one.

·
True Hotrodder
1,904 Posts
When I said boat anchor to tossing out the GM parts and starting with good ones - that offended someone?

We get a vague "I bought a belly-button engine" - "I have my own ideas but tell me where I'm wrong". I simply asked for some clarification. Been more than one that is hooked to a chain forever.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Well, I would disagree as to turning to the internet for advice. Buy a book. No reason to not rebuild it. Tear it down, mark everything, get a decent engine kit, maybe a summit 1102 cam, if not cracked, clean up the heads, Bolt it together and put it in a plastic bag in the garage corner, You will sooner or later have a need for it. By doing it all yourself, you could have it all rebuilt for well less than $1000. it's a sbc, there are still a lot of people who like and want these. The more you read, the more you do, the more you do, the smarter you get, smarter you get, the better life becomes. .

·
Registered
14,588 Posts
I’d start by asking what is the application do you want or can to do inside that application?

Rad ideas can vary from a low buck rebuild to an earth shaking unlimited monster. That’s a pretty board range, so gettin a lasso around some part of that is helpful.

I can’t speak for anybody else but I find budget to be an important factor. When a well healed client wants a motor and money is no object I build something a lot different than a motor for me where money for projects is constrained.

Bogie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts