Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I bought a 71 chevy truck, looks like the original wiring is in it and stuff, it didnt have an engine and I got a rebuilt sbc 350 and it keeps stalling out. The engine has a total of 4 miles (yes its brand new) it used to start up and idle perfectly then all of a sudden it stalls out like if you turned it off, this happens in idle and also while driving. i have a new edelbrock carb, new battery, new fuel pump, new fuel filter, new spark plugs and wires, I bought a new hei distributor but it still is stalling out. New alternator, so basically everything is new except the wiring but when I would test drive it, that same wiring was working fine with no problem. Then all of a sudden when I'm working on the tranny to change the shifting points it stalls out. And if it is the wiring which could it be? I have bought a new wire that goes from ignition to the distributor, so it is definitely getting power. Any ideas?

·
Registered
300 Posts
check for a loose ground wire, clean all connections .
did you get to break in the cam at 2000RPM for 20 Mins after installation?? I am assuming this is a stock replacement with a flat tappet cam..
Also check the suction line in gas tank and see if the wire mesh screen sock is rusted . I always remove them and just run an inline filter.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Got to find out if it's electrical or fuel. Next time it happens, don't touch anything just remove the air cleaner and cycle the throttle a couple of times to see if you get gas squirts. In other words see if it's getting fuel, if it is then you must move on to electrical. As above check connections. Check ignition circuit from key to dizzy.

After it dies, will it start right back up?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts