Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 4.3 that I am hoping to put into my well used '92 GMC Safari (305,000km). The guy I got the motor from claims it only has 60,000km on it. The block casting number is 10227196 '93-'94 balance shaft, throttle body.
The questions that I have are:

1). Will the flywheeled motor be balanced for a flex plate? Are the two interchangeable without ANY shaking? If so, can I use the flexplate that is already in the Safari?
2). Will the the wiring harness connections to the motor be the same between the two?
3). Can I use the '92 computer or should I get a '93,'94 computer?

I need this thing to pass emissions as well.
Thanks in advance.

J.

·
Analog man in a digital world.
2,252 Posts
From my investigations in trying to find a replacement 4.3 for my C1500 I would say that a '93-'94 should be a straight swap for your '92, you can use your flexplate and everything should be fine. Somewhere in the mid-90's they changed the TBI slightly, I don't remember the exact year so check with your local GM dealer or wrecking yard they can tell you real quick. If things aren't an exact match up swap over the parts from your '92 engine to make things work before you start swapping ECM's, if the TBI is different you only need to swap the throttle body and associated peripherals IIRC, they both have the same base pattern but do take a different air cleaner base. In '96 they switched to Vortec heads and a completely different induction system and things start getting to be a real pain. You have to stay '95 and older. Good luck.

·
Buick Hybrid Guy.
255 Posts
I did a vortec swap into a Blazer several years ago. I had a used engine here that was a ballance shaft motor out of a 96 truck.
The Blazer was a early 90's TBI non ballance shaft.

The oil pans were different between the two and I needed to drill/tap for the older (steel) oil pan to fit the Blazer

The plug on the bottom side of the TBI intake hit the ballance shaft. I milled the plug area down and it worked fine. Check that area before you install.

Most everything else was bolt up and go. You can use your stock TBI/intake/ECM and be ok.

I'd use the ballance shaft flexplate on the Ballance shaft motor!!!!
Good luck!
Scott~

·
Analog man in a digital world.
2,252 Posts
UR50SLO said:
I'd use the ballance shaft flexplate on the Ballance shaft motor!!!!
Good luck!
Scott~
For '88-'98 4.3 flexplates the only difference is for 700R4 and 4L60E vs. the 4L80E trans because of the torque converters. Doesn't matter whether they had the balance shaft or not. The 5.0 and 5.7's use the same flexplate as the 4.3.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.