Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody, I have a question about the lock nut on the output shaft for a sm465 transmission. It's a 4x4 transmission mated to a np205. I have some instructions I've downloaded off the internet but I'm still a bit confused. On the output shaft bearing there is a lock nut and washer. My instructions say to torque the lock nut to 100 ft/lbs and then bend the tabs down on the washer to lock the locknut in place. My problem is that it looks as though a special tool is required to torque this locknut. Especially to 100 ft/lbs. The locknut is circular except for 4 notches where the washer tabs fold into. I've looked for the tool to torque this locknut but can't find it. What is everybody else doing? Thanks for any help,
dh

·
You got a leaky spark tube...
2,854 Posts
You're looking for something like some sort of a spanner wrench or socket, maybe? Try contacting Valley Gear and Transmission in Seattle. I went through them to get several parts for my NP205.

I'm interested in seeing the info you found on the internet.

·
You got a leaky spark tube...
2,854 Posts
Yeah, you may want to give these guys a call. They're probably not any farther from you than they are for me. They may have the correct tool or know where to get one.
Valley Gear & Transmission Inc (206) 329-5353

·
Lost in the 60's
15,258 Posts
Its a spanner socket.....you can get one from the Snap-on man.

·
Some Punk Kid
786 Posts
If you go through snap-on make sure you know exact size. They will probably run 40-60 bucks per socket. depending on size. Im sure you can return it once you buy it and find out its not right but that would be a hassle. Also some local auto parts stores loan tools. You may want to try that first. Save you some green.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. I'll check into it.
dh

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just an update, I got it torqued on tight and put back together last week. It's working well, smooth and quiet (for a sm465 at least). I couldn't find the tool when I needed it so I used a drift to torque the bolt. It's on there really tight so I don't expect any problems.

I think I will track down the proper tool at some point, just to make it easier to rebuild the next one whenever that may be.

Thanks again for the help,
dh

1 - 8 of 8 Posts