Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a problem...I think.

I have the entire front end of my '65 Chevelle torn apart. Bought all new bushings, ball joints centrelink, etc....but the upper inner shaft that I bought from PST (Also looks the same from Year oNE) doesn't match the one I removed. In fact it looks liek a totally different style of shaft.

Anyone seen this before...where would I get a replacement?

Photograph attached.

HELP!

Attachments

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
H'mmmm

From the picture it looks like the one they sent you is much beefier than the old one..Do the mounting bolts line up correctly..are the shaft sizes correct for the bushings and is the overall length correct for your a-arms..??

In other words does it fit your application..???

Then maybe you have a beefier aftermarket shaft which is a good thing..

there are times when the replacement aftermarket part does not resemble the old stock part..

Just my thoughts..

OMT

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree...much beefier than original. Holes line up and overall length looks OK...but the problem is that the stock piece is not really a bushing where it passes through the control arm. Its a metal to metal contact at the control arm.

Hard to describe...I'll take another picture tonight annd post it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Wickster,

That is the way it is supposed to be. There is a metal sleeve aroung the bushing, which will then slide into the control arm. Put the bushings in the freezer for at least 2 days, and you will slide them in like butter.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just recently finished putting together the front end for my 69 camaro using parts from PST. I am very pleased with the way everything went together. It looks like you got the Polygraphite bushings. I got those too. If freezing them doesn't help slip them in, take it to somewhere they could press it in. We had the bushings pressed in the upper and lower a arms. If you do end up taking it to get pressed, take the lower ball joints to get pressed in too. That is if you haven't had them put in yet :)

Adam

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have a look at this picture...installation isn't the issue...looks like I have an uncommon style of a-arm and bushing?

Anyone see this...can I install a more common style of A-arm and be done with it?

Attachments

·
machinest & A&P Mechanic
363 Posts
yeah i have the same type on my 66 chevy pickup truck, i can get the orginal type still.... i wonder tho if you realy need to change your bushings, do you have any noticable wear??? any slop? i recently took apart another old chevys front end with the screw type arms on them and they still move realy nice and hardly show any wear! from the looks of it the OD dyameter of the polyurathane bushing is larger so you cant shove them in their, if you realy want to use your new bushings upper control arms from the A bodys should work (i have 67 buick skylark uppers in my 70 chevelle) look for other 64-72 upper arms. i kinda think you got a odd one... however, from a performance stand point, i wonder if your old ones would not offer you better performance since bushing deflection would be impossible. obviously they would give a "harsher" ride tho.. just my 2 cents...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.