Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has heard of this being done before or not? If I had to pick a company to be loyal to it would definitely be GM but I like stuff from just about every corner of the industry and that includes the Tuner cars. I think it would be interesting to put an old Corvette Inline six in a Supra or a Nissan Skyline. Tell me what you think!

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
I was wondering if anyone has heard of this being done before or not? If I had to pick a company to be loyal to it would definitely be GM but I like stuff from just about every corner of the industry and that includes the Tuner cars. I think it would be interesting to put an old Corvette Inline six in a Supra or a Nissan Skyline. Tell me what you think!
I personally have witnessed a Supra go 7's at the drag strip. I have never witnessed a Blue Flame Six go 7's.....or 8's......or 9's.........or 10's.

·
Old(s) Fart
5,840 Posts
You couild get the same effect by simply loading the trunk of the Toyota with concrete.

Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you should. The mid-50s Chevy I6 is a heavy, low-performance slug. There's a reason why Corvette sales were in the dumper until the V8 was introduced in 1955.

If you really want to drop a GM motor in a Toyota, and don't want to go the obvious LS route (and I applaud that, by the way), consider the DOHC Atlas I6.

Chevrolet Vortec 4200 Inline Six Engine - Chevy High Performance

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/ccrp-1108-turbocharged-vortec-inline-six/

·
Cars, Trucks, Boats, Motorcycl
7,481 Posts
What if you upgrade it and throw a supercharger on it or something?
There are some really quick turbocharged Chevy inline sixes running around, but prolly mainly the newer ones 250" and 292" which use many of the same parts as V8's... not the old Blue Flame 235's and smaller... most of which didn't even have a proper oil pump...

·
Grand Prix user
5,407 Posts
I too, would call that an exercise in futility. Most muscle will hold a Japanese sixer though...

Attachments

·
Registered
7,477 Posts
It would turn the Supra into a nose heavy slug... The 2JZ-GE engine is a little over 200hp alone and the GTE version with twin turbo's is much greater. Plus the wide aftermarket available.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I would advise agents it. The older 1JZ engine is a fantastac motor that support alot of boost. Close friend of mine was shooting for the world record stock bottom end HP when it let go at a bit over 705 RWHP on a single Precision Turbo only due to a tuning issue that went unnoticed and caused it to lean out at the end of the 1/4 mile. Here is a video of it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVXQ2G1754A

I've seen totally stock bottom end 2JZ motors take huge boost and make 1,000 wheel hp. Last I herd the record was 1013 RWHP on a totally stock motor minus the set of 272 cams he was running. That's over 1K to the wheels with just a bigger turbo, Fuel, and cams. Beautiful motors in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I was looking at a '56 Chevy 2-door sedan last night.

235... dual carbs on an aluminum intake... rare "Wayne" valve cover... cam... 5-speed... and air conditioning!

It is refreshing to see something different! :)

·
Old(s) Fart
5,840 Posts
Why is that so wrong? Just because it's a Japanese engine? ...
And here, I thought that anyone who would build a Volvo MUST have a sense of humor... :rolleyes:

Go back and pay special attention to the smily after that post. It was not written seriously. Next time I'll be sure to use the [humor] [/humor] flags just to be sure.

Personally I prefer ANY motor that's not a belly-button SBC.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was looking at a '56 Chevy 2-door sedan last night.

235... dual carbs on an aluminum intake... rare "Wayne" valve cover... cam... 5-speed... and air conditioning!

It is refreshing to see something different! :)
Air conditioning!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts