Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Teen Hot Rodder
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so I've finally decided what route I'm going to go with my Camaro. A new crate engine. I'm looking for a crate engine that will do well under a brand new Weiand 6-71 blower (10-12psi) and has roller cam, roller rockers, aluminum heads, hypereutectic dished pistons, and plasmamoly rings. Does anyone know where to find an long-block style engine that I can buy this summer with somewhat close specs as the ones I listed above? I have this engine from Blueprint Engines selected for now, it's just that the price tag is a out of range for me... If I have to, I'll go with that one, otherwise I'm looking for something a little cheaper that can withstand a blower like this one. Any comments? (Yes, I will be rebuilding the tranny and rear-end) ((This will be a daily driver because I don't care about gas too much, it's pretty cheap in north Texas right now, and I won't be racing it really, just a hot rod show-off kinda car))

Jon

·
More for Less Racer
20,096 Posts
I can't point you in the direction of a certain crate motor or manufacturer, as I am not a crate motor guy, I'd prefer to spec and assemble my own...but I will give you a couple tips.

You don't need the added expense of a 383 stroker engine when you are planning to use a blower on it, just do a less expensive 350 and have the blower do the work, you'll still get all the power you need and far more than street tires and common street chassis set-up can put to the ground anyway.

Keep hyperuetectic pistons and blowers as far away from each other as possible, hypers have no business being in a blown engine and run a huge risk of giving you a total failure on just the slightest tuning or fuel hiccup...forged pistons only for a blower engine.

BDS(Blower Drive Service) is a better blower company than Weiand, you would be better off to go to them.

Scott Shafiroff Racing Engines is one builder I can point you to, a relative of mine has one of their 980hp 588" BBC stroker engines, it's a reliable beast and cost was decent considering how big it is. He's had it 5 years with no problems, and it thumps!

If this really is going to be driven daily, you might be better off with the Weiand or B&M 177/174 size blower with a single big carb, rather than a 6-71 and 2 carbs to deal with.

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
Alright, so I've finally decided what route I'm going to go with my Camaro. A new crate engine. I'm looking for a crate engine that will do well under a brand new Weiand 6-71 blower (10-12psi) and has roller cam, roller rockers, aluminum heads, hypereutectic dished pistons, and plasmamoly rings. Does anyone know where to find an long-block style engine that I can buy this summer with somewhat close specs as the ones I listed above? I have this engine from Blueprint Engines selected for now, it's just that the price tag is a out of range for me... If I have to, I'll go with that one, otherwise I'm looking for something a little cheaper that can withstand a blower like this one. Any comments? (Yes, I will be rebuilding the tranny and rear-end) ((This will be a daily driver because I don't care about gas too much, it's pretty cheap in north Texas right now, and I won't be racing it really, just a hot rod show-off kinda car)Jon
10 psi on pump gas will require a 7.5:1 static compression ratio. 12 psi on pump gas will require a 7.0:1 static compression ratio and I don't see anyone that makes affordable parts to get there. SRP makes a forged piston with a 24cc dish and Airflow Research makes heads with 75cc chambers, but that will only get you to 7.9:1. Without hocking the farm, looks like you could be limited to 8 psi using 7.9:1 SCR. The 24cc piston with a 72cc head would make 8.1:1, so that could work with 8 psi.

·
Cars, Trucks, Boats, Motorcycl
7,462 Posts
. X 3... don't recall seeing any suitable crate engines for your purpose... suggest asking BDS for a recommendation of somebody in your area... checking with local speedshops/racers... car shows/swaps... getting a shortblock built and adding your choice of heads... might consider using O-rings instead of head gaskets... or copper headgaskets...

·
Teen Hot Rodder
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, either that or can someone put together a basic parts list from Summit that I could use to do this with? Or at least specs of parts I would need? I definitely want a blower, aluminum heads, MSD Ignition, and whatever SCR I'll need to run the 10-12psi (that's what the Weiand kit I'm getting runs at)

Thanks for all of your help so far guys!

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
big al's toy box

is the company a friend got his super charged sbc from.. it dyno'd at 750hp and he put it in a Tbucket... yes i drove it ONCE and it scared me... he was in the $8k if i recall.. and plug and play. already broke in and ready to run.. and it ran !!!!!

·
Teen Hot Rodder
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm looking to stay within a budget of about $12k right now. I will also be buying a new tranny and rear end, and will upgrade the chassis as well.... and exhaust....

·
Administrator
6,247 Posts
You realize with a static c.r. of 8.5 your effective c.r. with 12 #'s of boost will be 15.4:1? Definitely consider a water/meth injection system and BTM to pull timing. You shouldn't have to ask how I know that...:drunk::pain:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts