Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, im 18 years old and by no means have the ability to do what I am proposing but my father is a mechanic and would be willing to assist me through the entire project. My question is if it would be possible to swap a 1983 Monte Carlo's (what i believe to be) a carburated 3.8L and TH350 with the van's 4.3 Liter and 700r4. Please let me know the level of difficulty and any specifics that you know of. This is a great help and will hopefully keep me from being laughed at by my old man.

·
Registered
15,340 Posts
tonydp94 said:
First off, im 18 years old and by no means have the ability to do what I am proposing but my father is a mechanic and would be willing to assist me through the entire project. My question is if it would be possible to swap a 1983 Monte Carlo's (what i believe to be) a carburated 3.8L and TH350 with the van's 4.3 Liter and 700r4. Please let me know the level of difficulty and any specifics that you know of. This is a great help and will hopefully keep me from being laughed at by my old man.
Year of the van would be helpful info and whether it has 4 wheel or all-wheel drive?

At the nut and bolt level this isn't difficult assuming the van is 2 wheel drive. 4 or all wheel drive and supporting systems add difficulty, thus the need to know the year and drive type.

You need to check the SMOG laws, if this thing is subject to inspection, the swap gets a lot more complicated.

Bogie

·
Registered
15,340 Posts
tonydp94 said:
The van is a 1988 Chevy Astro with rear wheel drive
OK, now what is your SMOG requirement? Generally California requires that:

1) An engine transplant must be the year of the chassis or newer.

2) The transplant may not be a truck engine to passenger car.

3) The emissions equipment must be the more stringent; the year of the chassis or the year of the engine. This is most often the year of the engine as it must be the chassis year or newer and must be a passenger car to passenger car or passenger car to truck. These things just naturally seem to get more complicated as we move into the calendar.

So you need to nail the answer to this or you'll be wasting a lot of time, energy and money.

Your biggest technical problem, assuming the car is emissions exempt at it's current age*, will be meshing the 700R4's electronic speedometer output into the 83's mechanical speedo. The other thing will be that the 700R4 is a bit longer than the TH350 for two wheel drives, this will require an adapter plate on the trans cross member and a shorter drive shaft. This also assumes the Astro van which is most likely a TBI engine will be back dated to a carb. So you've got some information to find, measurements to take and decisions to make.

* If the car is emissions exempt, then it isn't subject to testing, then if they aren't looking no-one will see the newer engine and question what's going on. However, if you have to stand for an emission test then the possibility exists that a newer engine transplant would be caught and you would have to rectify the situation before plates would be issued. Plus you expose yourself to legal action and fines. So check this out and be SURE of where you stand. Most of this stuff is on line with the California Air Resources Board (CARB) and the Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR). Of course you probably know whether you and the car have been thru a SMOG test.

A couple good reads from a guy in your corner of the world are

Chevrolet S-10 Truck
V-8 Conversion Manual
http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Chevrolet_S-10_V-8.html

Chevrolet TPI & TBI
V8 Engine Swapping
http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Chevrolet_TPI_TBI_V-8.html

While aimed at getting a V8 into S-10/15 pickups, much of the information will translate into your project especially if you have to deal with electronic to mechanical and mechanical to electronic conversion issues. The 90 degree V6 is close enough on the outside that mounts, cooling, transmissions, systems, electrical, headers, exhaust, and drive-shaft kind of stuff in his book will come across.

Bogie

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.