Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Junkyard Kustoms
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
CAR:1989 Cadillac El Dorado
Engine: 4.5L Alum V8 Dfi
Drive: Fwd
Problem: It all started After I used Some gas from a Gerry Can, Assuming it had water in it i used water remover before i drove it anywhere. I bearly drove 10 feet when it began dieing so naturally i nailed the throttle, revving it to approx 2,200 rpm, then letting it idle down and it died. So i was like well maybe my injectors are dirty or something, so i cleaned the carb and put fi cleaner in the tank, And started it again. Now i cant even put it in gear with out it ding , never mind keeping a charge on the battery. So whats happening? It has back fired a alot, there is alot of pale type exaust comming out witch makes my think its burning lean, but when i looked at the fuel flow from the injectors it seems to be getting allmost too much fuel? I doesnt idle more than 30 seconds before dieng out the only way to keep it running is by mashing the throttle up to 2,000+ rpm. My battery holds 11.8 and charges at 12.4, so my battery is ok, and i think the gas was premium for my brother go kart, and like i said i used water remover to be safe and injector cleaner. It never ran * before that , i had the cat remover since it was from california originally and i put a new pipe in there. It ran good still, i drove it for about 2 weeks solid,a nd then i parked it with a dead battery from listenign to the sterio i had installed. So about a month later, when we decided to move i began to charge the battery, it it was no good so i went and bought a new one, goo fired up on turn key...

So a 2 weeks later the whole gerry can thing happened and now it dont run at all. i have removed the spring to see it the idler arm was loose but it seemed fine and the electric idle/choke deal was ok, i did a small adjustment to see if i could even get it to idle but no there no hope in that, so i returned it to where it was and it has never been the same, and after my battery dying several more times and killing a few other poeples from boosting i have decided to seek help. can anyone help me at all?

Also my cpu is telling me i have a cooling fan fault what causes this? its a new rad and fan setup and when i turn the ac off since i have no charge, it stops?

Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
we had a car in the shop last week doing the same thing.
New alternator.And it then ran great.Also my Daytona has a bad wire and acts like it got a fuel problem until i pull on the charging wire. Then it starts chargeing and runs ok again.
I know i have to fix it soon.

·
im on a highway to hell
688 Posts
as to the gas problem it sounds like the gas in the can was no good was the did the car stall and thats why you put the gas in was it really out of gas,? as for your other problems its kind of hard to follow what happened if you could clarify a little bit it would help.

·
Junkyard Kustoms
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok

Well i had to drive about 70 clicks from my house out my my new place. And i had no money since i had just payed rent so i used the gas in the gas can, the car never stalled it just needed more that 2 litres of gas to get there. It has some what of a bad ground to would that affect it?
I dont know about the cooling fan fault but when i bought it it was outta that freeon crap or whatever they charge the ac with and when i turn the ac off it goes away

·
im on a highway to hell
688 Posts
i would say you had some bad gas, empty the tank and put in some fresh gas, the fuel pump is in the tank so if there is any gunk in there it could have picked it up.

i would also say that your ac system is shorting out the charging system some where you'll have to chase the short

·
Junkyard Kustoms
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
chasing the ac short

Where , and how would i go about that, i think 90% of the fuel is burned out. Whats the easyest way to empty my tank a chemical pump?

·
im on a highway to hell
688 Posts
stick a hose down into the tank as far as you can and get one of those drill pumps that you attatch to a hand drill. get out as much as you can and then fill the tank with good gas. even if there is a little of the old stuff left the new gas should mix in to make it ok.

on the electrical problem i would repost the question in the electrical forum there are a few guys there that really know there stuff. the electrical system in those caddys are a nightmare at best and i wouldn't know where to start there are so many circiuts and censors in those cars.

·
Be American, Buy American!
222 Posts
The first thing that comes to mind is that you said you think the gas in the can is premium for your brother's go-kart. Is your brother's go-kart 2 or 4 cycle. You said that you wondered whether or not the injectors were dirty so you cleaned the carb and put fuel injector cleaner in the tank.

********Check The Fuel Filter For Trash**********

(1) If the go-kart is 2 cycle, it must have a gas/oil mixture == Not good for injectors.
(2) You can not have both fuel injection and a carb
(3) Injector/carb cleaner in the tank is ok for either.

If it is not the Alternator as posted above you may have to clean the injectors and blow the lines.

You might want to look inside your tank to be certain that it is clean. Your fuel pump may not be functioning at its peak performance level.

·
Junkyard Kustoms
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

the go kart engine was just a 5hp briggs and rstatton from a lawn mower, so i had no oil in it... ill check the lines when the snow melts off the car, i put the injector cleaner in the tank and the carb cleaner in the tbi unit.

As for the Electrical problem ill post in that forum....

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
The poor ignition/running/dead battery is another problem. I owned an 88 El Dorado for about 159,000 miles and had the service manual. It was EFI vice your DFI, but is still twins when it comes to electronics. First thing to do is check your grounds. There is a big ground junction hidden under a black plastic cover just aft of the battery. After that, there are little ground straps all over. Next, remove and clean the positive lead and other wires on the big pole on the starter. Also, peel the cover s back on the Positive and Negative ends of the battery cables to clean and look for signs of corrosion.

As far as your cooling fans, there is a fan controller in front of the rad/condenser on the pax side. Both fans plug into it. You can disconnect these plugs and use a meter to see if you are getting a signal for the fan(s) to operate. One will come on immediately if the Climate Control panel is in the Auto or Defog position. The other must sense the coolant temp above 190 degrees. (even with the Climate Control Off, both fans will run when the coolant temp is above 220)

Trees

·
Tazz
2,048 Posts
Sounds like bad gas to me too. drain the old gas out of the tank and start again trying to get it to run....how long did it run after you put in the old gas? You could hook up a lawn mower gas tank to you fuel pump intake line and see that it runs on the smaller tank before draining the big tank if the caddy has a fuel pump on the engine block and not on the tank.

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

·
Junkyard Kustoms
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok ill be going out there sometime this week

ill go out an dcheck it out, i just hope theres no screen at the bottom of the filler neck, and as for the short in the coloumn... eeeh ill leave that for another day... Ill chase all my gronds and buy some new cables and see what happens....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts