Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gidday guys, I recently built my engine with help from you guys but couldnt get my hands on any good vortecs so stuck to my 462's. It isnt as good as I thought, and now locally they are selling RHS Vortec 906 replacement heads.. verything i have read is good and should go well with my motor. I can afford the heads alone but not much more. I am interested as I can use my rpm and machined for large springs which I have. But do they accept standard old style rockers and studs/guideplates?? If so, I'll just at them but cant find anyone else asking or answering this question.. Will the 170cc allow me to keep pulling upto 6000rpm where i will shift.. Or pure straight down low torque which Im not after. So all I want to know is if i buy these heads, is that all I will have to buy or are some parts not compatable

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
Vortec heads take a different intake and they use pressed in studs and self-aligning rocker arms. If you install screw-in studs, you can use guide plates and non self-aligning (standard) rockers. The springs on OEM heads (like truck take-offs) will need springs that are stiffer.

If you want to run your larger diameter springs, have the guides machined shorter at the same time- to allow more lift.

There are write-ups on how to modify the heads to handle more than the stock 0.430"- 0.450" lift if you wanted to use stock diameter springs.

0.550" is attainable w/o guide or spring seat machining by drilling out the pushrod holes w/a 1/2" drill bit and taking some off of the bottoms of the retainers (aka "ghetto grind"), and using better stock diameter (about 1.25") springs. Different valve stem seals can be used.

One way is to go w/Comp beehive spring PN 26915 or PN 26918 and retainer PN 787, or Z28-type springs and ground down stock retainers if less lift is needed.

450-480 HP should be fairly easily attainable. I've heard as much as 500, IIRC, but don't know about that. There pretty much all done by 0.550"- 0.600" lift.

·
More for Less Racer
20,941 Posts
I believe the RHS heads all have screw in rocker studs, and can be run with or without guideplates depending on your rocker arm style. According to the catalog, you will be able to transfer everything that you want to re-use. As stated you might have to machine the guide top for clearance and the spring pocket.

I am assuming that you are looking at the 2.02-1.6" valve "Pro Torker" Vortec 906 replacement #12410 to replace the fuelies and not the standard 1.94-1.5" valve standard Vortec 906 replacement #12407???

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Gidday yes looking at the 2.02/1.6 rhs vortec heads, the thing that got me was the dual intake pattern which was good, just had to make sure they didnt need fancy or different style roller rockers, so all long as I can use normal pre vortec roller rockers on these heads i think thats all i need to know.. Everyone always said to put vortecs on but the added cost of intake manifold and rocker covers etc put me off, but this just solves all of those issues.. Thanks

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thanks for that, didnt think about that. Could I port the rpm intake to match the height or is it a lot more taller. Maybe not worth the gamble if I am going to have to buy other parts to suit.

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
If you get the RHS Vortecs you`ll love them. The basic set that has 1.94 1.50 valves installed are the ones we used and they made the maxxed out 2.02 valved fuelie heads we were running look bad in comparison. You`ll also find they are a heavy casted head, they didn`t skimp on the meat.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
DoubleVision said:
If you get the RHS Vortecs you`ll love them. The basic set that has 1.94 1.50 valves installed are the ones we used and they made the maxxed out 2.02 valved fuelie heads we were running look bad in comparison. You`ll also find they are a heavy casted head, they didn`t skimp on the meat.
Very thick deck, about 58lbs assembled, Great Price, the ports and chambers are pretty smooth(better than oem) as cast,I smoothed mine up abit,Just finished up a few hours ago actually. They are going on a 406 :evil: Internally balanced Eagle rotating assembly, Howards hydraulic roller cam, basically all of the 400 that I bought(partially disassembled) that i'll be using is the block,timing cover,oil pan and dipstick,and center bolt valve pans from the JY. The rest is new.
Shane
cool rockin daddy said:
Usually you can't port the intake to match because it just wasn't cast to cover those ports. I would think it wouldn't be that much to get a Vortec style manifold used on E-bay.
I agree,the ports are TALL,I bought an Eddelbrock Performer Vortec from Summit for $175 (I plan on wiitching to a Q-jet later on) Weiands run around $150 or so but they are for square bore carbs. The general consensus is to stay away from the knock off ebay intakes,aand use felpro intake gaskets
Shane

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
Good call shane. I should remember to mention the lesson I learned when I went to a Vortec combo. Only use Edelbrock Vortec intake gaskets with gasgacinch, if you try and use the stocker fel pro gaskets it will leak no matter how much RVT you put on`em. I went through 3 sets of fel pro`s trying to get it to seal up without much success and at $25 a whack it got expensive fast.

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
I would advise port matching your intake as best as you can but not getting carried away with it. If the heads have a little taller opening it is not the end of the world- do as best as you can to smooth it all up and run it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.