Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 79' chevy pickup with a 350. I replaced the header gaskets and they were square port gaskets. I bought some round port gasket and they seem to look more of the same size as the ports on the heads than the square port gaskets. my question is are my heads round or square port? They look like both. Is there such thing as oval ports? I hear most gen. 1 small-blocks chevys are round port. And also, the headers flanges look like they have an oval shape to them too. thanks,
mark

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
I`ve seen factory small blocks with the different port shapes, and I don`t think it matters much when it comes to gaskets, You can use the standard fel pro factory repop gaskets that you can get at almost any parts store for about 5 bucks, there steel mesh and they`ll seal it up without issue, that`s all I use on my headers, I`ve used the same set for years and they still work fine, another advantage is they just drop in without having to remove all the header bolts and they resist burn out even if the header comes loose. If your heart is set on paper header gaskets soak them in water so they`ll swell and hold moisture.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts