Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know where i might be able to decode what Chevy I-4 engine is in a Hyster forklift ? i have scoured Google with no luck. the only numbers i have found on the block are "271 83 Hecho En Mexico." from that information, i gather the last 3 digits of the casting number are 271, its an 83 model year block, and its made in Mexico.

the carb that is on it is a Rochester Monojet that id like to rebuild. when i cross-reffed the numbers on the carb, 7044017, it comes back to a 250cid engine. i dont think this engine is *that* big.

the forklift is old, at least 20 yrs old. would i be in better shape if i popped the valve cover off and got the head casting number ?

TIA
Dale

·
Registered
906 Posts
Guys and Gals,

This engine was in mail vans, forklifts, boats, cars JUST EVERYTHING.
It has the nick name of the "Iron Horse".
The carb is the correct one. Get a kit and rebuild it.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
Scholman

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
anyone have a pic of the "Iron Duke" ? im not entirely sold that it is an Iron Duke.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
The Iron Duke is the Pontiac inline 4 cylinder with the zig-zag edged valve cover. This is a much later engine than the Chevy II 4banger used in Mercruiser applications as well.
The Chevy II engine has pretty much always been known as the Chevy II or Nova 4 banger or the Mercruiser 4banger.
The Iron Duke came later, was touted by oh so many automotive writers, no hotrodders gave a damn. Oh, there were cars built with the engine, and GM offered all kinds of hopup parts, but they ended up being Buick, Olds, Pontiac mid size front drive junk car engines in the real world, and a small footnote in the hotrod world.
And then there was the DOHC Quad Four....oooooooooooooooohhhhhhhh!!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
The ChevyII,Mercruiser 4cyl. Looks like a 194,230,250 6cyl. just two cylinders shorter. The intake and exhaust is on the same side of the head. It also has a sheetmetal side cover.
The later Iron Duke "2.5" has the intake and exhaust on different sides. I have casting number books at work so but,I'm not going in until Tuesday.
The little Chevy II 4 bangers were used in oval midget race cars and are real cool lookin' in early style hot rods.
Have fun,Smokey

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yekoms said:
The ChevyII,Mercruiser 4cyl. Looks like a 194,230,250 6cyl. just two cylinders shorter. The intake and exhaust is on the same side of the head. It also has a sheetmetal side cover.
The later Iron Duke "2.5" has the intake and exhaust on different sides. I have casting number books at work so but,I'm not going in until Tuesday.
The little Chevy II 4 bangers were used in oval midget race cars and are real cool lookin' in early style hot rods.
Have fun,Smokey
id appreciate if you would look up casting numbers for me.

and Thanks to everyone who replied, youve convinced me that it is an Iron Duke.

·
Instagram: partsretriever
1,622 Posts
pasadenahotrod said:
And then there was the DOHC Quad Four....oooooooooooooooohhhhhhhh!!!
the q4 is a pita to wrench on (well, plugs are easy to get at) but usually run forever with blah acceleration. My friend had a poor-rebuild job that was a chronic money pit.

The HO versions are screamers with the 5speed, but there weren't many built.

They also have a lot of potential when stuck pointed the right way in a light hotrod (add boost for more fun).

link http://www.kitcarmag.com/techarticles/oldsmobile_quad_4_combining_parts/

·
Registered
906 Posts
DHMag,

I think there is a stamped number on the deck of the block that can be looked up. Casting numbers are usually back by the flywheel, either on top near the starter mounting bolt holes or at the very back of the engine.
I have tried the numbers you posted and I come up the same as you....nothing.

Scholman

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
scholman said:
DHMag,

I think there is a stamped number on the deck of the block that can be looked up. Casting numbers are usually back by the flywheel, either on top near the starter mounting bolt holes or at the very back of the engine.
I have tried the numbers you posted and I come up the same as you....nothing.

Scholman
i was all over that engine and that was all i found for casting information. its kind of difficult when its still in the forklift. when i get some time, ill look again.

Thanks though !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts