Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Mickey
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 63 chevy II with 4 lug wheels. I just want to be able to have 5 lugs for a better selection of wheels. Is there a conversion kit with out changing axles and spindles? Everbody says just put rear end and front suspension, but looking for a less expensive way.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Cheapest way is to find a donor Chevy II that has 5 bolt hubs. Hard to find, and everyone wants to do the same thing. You can update to aftermarket front disc brakes, and a different rear end, but those cost consciderably more than it sounds like you want to pay. I kept my 63 Chevy II wagon 4-bolt, used slotted aluminum rims, and it helped with the sleeper approach. But, the brakes are really marginal in keeping it somewhat stock. Might try Steves Nova Site online, look in the classifieds.

·
Mickey
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
5 Lug Chevy II' s

Thanks for the advice. That is something I have thought of. Did any of the Chevy II's through 1967 come with 5 lugs, and what would determin if they had 5 lugs?

·
Mickey
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey JimFulco

Appreciate that info. on the lugs. I am converting car to a V8 from 6cyl., if I use front sump pan and leave existing front suspension will the motor mounts line up? 63 Chevy II

What is a good resource for frame widths. I saw a guys car that he took a front frame section from a camaro and put it on his Chevy II, from the bolting plates at firewall forward.

·
More for Less Racer
20,942 Posts
Not sure about the motor mount question, but there is no way to use a Camaro front frame clip without cutting it shorter and doing some welding and remaking mounts for the core support and front sheet metal.

The Camaro frame stub continues under the car to just behind the drivers seat, this length would have to be cut off at the firewall and some kind of mounting plate devised to hook it to the firewall of the Chevy II. Steering column would be a problem too. Not saying it couldn't be done by someone with fabricating skills, it's an intriguing idea, but it's no bolt in.

·
More for Less Racer
20,942 Posts
Not a bad idea if you have the skills and tools to fab it where neccesary. Head to the wrecking yard with a tape measure and some notes and start checking. Might look at '78-87 Monte Carlo, Cutlass, Regal, Malibu, Grand Prix or '82-up S-10(it's the narrowest) front stubs too. Just be aware of your sheetmetal and the donor's steering box and linkage locations, both of these suggested and the '70-81 Camaro/'75-79 Nova(interchangable) have the steering box in front of the crossmember. '68-74 Nova and '67-69 Camaro(interchangable) have the steering box behind the front crossmember.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The V-8 will fit right where the 6cyl is at. There is no need to change mounts or anything. The nice thing about Chevy is that between the 6cyl and V-8 the mounts are the same. I did a conversion on a 66 Chevy II with absolutely no problems. As far changing the the front subframe, there are some on the market with Mustang II suspension. It replaces the original subframe. No welding or cutting or fabrication. You do have to have the correct oil pan, oil pump and pickup tube for the V-8 Chevy II. I used a later model 350 in my car and wound up machining a small amount of material off of the oil pump. This had to be done since the original motors are 327's and the stroke is shorter on them than the 350 is. The 350 crank wound up hitting the corner of the pump. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You need V8 frameside mounts, front sump oil pan and headers. I believe the ramhorn manifolds will fit but if you want headers there are only a few that will fit a stock front clip. On my Dad's Nova we went with Hedman 68160's, ours isn't running yet but a few of the guys over on stevesnovasite.com run them without problems.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
I would try and find a clapped out, rusty 4 door Chevy II ( 1964 to 1967 ) with the V8 already in it. Then you would have everything you need for your Nova. The 4 doors goes for cheap money in my area.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
Engine mount frame brackets are different from the six to the V-8. If you can't find any locally, you can get them from aftermarket vendors.

www.nnnova.com and www.novaparts.com sell everything you need to do the V-8 conversion. You also might check out the vendors and classifieds at www.stevesnovasite.com or www.novas.net , both of which also have forums dedicated exclusively to Chevy IIs & Novas.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.