Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chevy Rear End Identification.

I need help in identifying my Chevy rear end. I have included some photos to help in shedding some light on what this rear end is. I basically want to know if this rear end is original to my 1957 Chevy truck. I would also want know if this 10 bolt can handle 300 horse power with 14 inch wide tires.

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,635 Posts
That rear end did not come out of a 57 Chevy...they were the "pot" type, had no rear end cover, slid in from the front.

That rear was a later model..............looks like a 12 bolt.

·
Premium Member
2,233 Posts
Bad pic number one has the indication of it being a 10-bolt. If the entire center section was pictured I would bet on 10 bolts holding the cover on.

Bad pic two shows a seperate set of shock mounts intended for another vehicle, and also give an indication that there may possibly be a set of leaf spring pads on the tubes, I don't know.

Bad pic three gives absolutely nothing to go by, out of focus with nothing pertinant in the view at all.

Sorry, but we can only work with what we are given over the internet.

Now how about a shot of just the center section where the cover was bolted to, a typed copy of all the numbers on the ring gear, and slip a socket on the head of one of the bolts holding the ring gear on the carrier (don't take it out, we just need the size).

Lets try this again.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I agree with Poncho and Trees, looks like a GM "Truck" 12 bolt from that first pic, but hard to tell. If it's a Truck 12 bolt, then it has the 8.875" diameter Ring Gear, 1.438" diameter Pinion. That would be more then enough to handle 300HP.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.