Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
without tearing apart how can u tell a 3.8 from a 4.2? It is out of a El Canino,but I dont know what year.Is there numbers somewhere on the block that would signify what engine,what should I look for?
Thanks
Gary

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
I think the elky`s came with 229`s, which was a 305 with 2 less cylinders.
Some also came with 200`s which were the 262 with 2 less cylinders, However, casting numbers seem to be a bit scarce on these, hopefully someone out there has them.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The one I'm refering to has one of them big HEI distrbuyers in the back &a 2 barrel carb the front of the engine looks like a small block V8

·
Analog man in a digital world.
2,252 Posts
larryblack said:
3.8's have the dist in the front and were originally Buick engines.
The Chevy 229 was sometimes referred to as a 3.8 also. Had a Malibu wagon with a "3.8" and it was a Chevy 229 V-6.

The 200 V-6 was actually a 267 with 2 cylinders cut off not a 262. The 4.3 which happens to be 262 cid is a 350 with 2 cylinders cut off. All three have a 3.48 stroke.

I "think" Doublevision is right, I have only seen 229's in Elkie's and Malibus although '85-up Monte Carlos got 4.3's so maybe the El Camino did too. It would have to be an '85 or newer though.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeh I think the 85&up el canino"s had 4.2 or3 or whatever it was,but I don't know what year this engine was in.That's why someone will be able to tell me to look for numbers somewhere to tell what size and year it is.I'm going to rebuild it for my 26T (it has a 4 cyl datsun in it now),but I'm not in any hurry,the datsun runs good mostly going to V6 so I can have auto tranny. In the meantime if I come across any good deals on parts (manifolds,cams,hedderr,etc) I will have to be sure what engine I have
Gary

·
Registered
10 Posts
v6

it's right behind the driver's side head, on the angled surface above the trans bellhousing bolt pattern facing up. mines got 436L

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks
I'm giong to the garage soon and look.I'lllet u know what i find
thanks again
Gary

I looked where you said&all I can find is GM 471594 so I guess maybe it's not a 4.3????????
gARY

1 - 10 of 10 Posts