Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 405 Posts

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The five(5) year plan is working. There were 125 Chevy Volt automobiles sold in all of July 2011.

That's about 2.5 cars PER STATE.

Since the Volt went into production a year ago they have sold just over 2,000 and that includes the purchases by us - the federal government.

What a great success "story"!!!

Dave W

·
Registered
105 Posts
Irelands child said:
The five(5) year plan is working. There were 125 Chevy Volt automobiles sold in all of July 2011.

That's about 2.5 cars PER STATE.

Since the Volt went into production a year ago they have sold just over 2,000 and that includes the purchases by us - the federal government.

What a great success "story"!!!

Dave W
I would think there's GOTTA be more than that.... I've seen 2 just in my small town. Of course, I'm in Ca. and we tend to buy more things like that. There's probably 1/3 of the Volts in Ca. itself....just as a guess.

·
Banned
252 Posts
Where do folks get these figures, from the petroleum institute?

Leaf holds a slight sales edge from January to the end of May -- 2,184 vs. 2,167 for Volt. The figures so far are tiny, but both companies are promising they will pick up.

The above is for 5 months, not total sales.

·
NEVER SATISFIED !!
1,947 Posts
They can't sell them if they can't get them.

I checked with three dealers and was told that they won't get any till at least next year.

I also heard that they cost around $41,000 dollars.

Anyone know about the price ?

454 RATTLER

·
The Dude
156 Posts
I still haven't seen one on the road before
Theres a Huge Chevy Dealership in Tampa that I always pass and it doesn't look like there are any in the lot or on the displays. Just Camaros, Corvettes, a Z06 and the other GM cars.

·
www.generationhighoutput. com
897 Posts
That's also what I've heard. GM isn't really churning them out in high numbers. Worth mentioning though, is the boring lump of plastic below:

You might not recognize it, but it's a first generation toyota prius. Sometimes the first generation isn't as sucessful styling wise. I'd definitely call the Volt "polarizing" in it's styling. The concept Caddilac ELR platform sibling isn't bad looking though:

It's badge and looks might justify it's pricetag and make it possible bring down the cost to the consumer on the Volt.

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
Interesting crash test. The first one IMHO is not very representative of real world crashes as most if not all happen to be square on from the front or side. The other two are really amazing however, especially the 70mph crash into the concrete barrier.

Vince

·
Premium Member
11,051 Posts
302 Z28 said:
Interesting crash test. The first one IMHO is not very representative of real world crashes as most if not all happen to be square on from the front or side. The other two are really amazing however, especially the 70mph crash into the concrete barrier.

Vince

I agree Vince.... But... I also know the more area you hit.. The more it will take up the impact..A dead on hit sometimes has less damage... Because it covers more square inch's..

Them cars are suppose to be a lot safer then they look..That hit into the wall, Sure was a good hit... :pain:

Being it seems very light... Look's like it would fly away from the impact very fast....Must be one he** of a ride...

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
UPDATE.... UPDATE

Copy and Paste from today:

"In August, and for the second month in a row, the Chevy Cruze was the best selling compact car in America, with 21,807 cars sold.

The Chevy Volt? Not so much.

Only 302 of the plug-in hybrids were delivered to customers, up from 125 in July.

So, is the extended range electric car of the future already out of juice?

Not quite. At least not yet.

Sales of the four-seat hatchback were hampered by a July shutdown of the Hamtramck, Michigan assembly line where it is built. The closure needed in order to retool the plant to increase production for the 2012 model year.

As a result, supplies at dealerships -- where Volts reportedly sit on the lot for less than 10 days, about as quick as a car can be processed and turned around for a customer -- have been tighter than usual.

Of the 2,395 cars that were produced in August, a GM spokesman tells FoxNews.com that a third are in transit and another 700 or so earmarked for dealers for use as demos as new markets for the car are added across the country. So, even with production up to steam, the supply chain isn’t quite at full speed.

Nevertheless, GM has repeatedly said that it will sell 10,000 Volts by the end of 2011, and reconfirmed that goal for this report. The total stands at approximately 3,772.

With over 7,500 built since production began in late 2010, many of which are tied up as demos, and production currently running at 150 cars a day, GM is certainly on track to build more than 10,000 cars by Christmas break, but are the customers there to buy them?

We’ll have to wait until the end of September for a clearer picture, or maybe October. Perhaps November. In any case, the clock is ticking".

Not a good sign for Government Motor Company :nono: :sweat: (underlining above is mine)

Dave W

·
Banned
252 Posts
I'm about 50 miles east of Sacramento, and if I was a working stiff, needing to commute, I'd sure consider what a neighbor is using, the Volt. His commute is about 52 miles one way, 104 miles round trip. He is a bit of a lead foot, so he consumes 0.06 gallons for this 104 miles. That is 6/100th of a gallon.

Bob

Almost 1300 miles on 6 gallons

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I guess, I'm just old school but I have always been under the assumption the more gas a car burns the better the car.

A while back, I was at a light in the Sequoia next to one of those stupid cars and I think that car was about as big as my fender, told my wife if I hit that thing doing 50, it would be years before they found that stupid car.

I have never seen one of the Obama cruise cars in person but just knowing he was behind it, tells me all I need to know about the car.

·
Registered
89 Posts
BarryK said:
I guess, I'm just old school but I have always been under the assumption the more gas a car burns the better the car.

A while back, I was at a light in the Sequoia next to one of those stupid cars and I think that car was about as big as my fender, told my wife if I hit that thing doing 50, it would be years before they found that stupid car.

I have never seen one of the Obama cruise cars in person but just knowing he was behind it, tells me all I need to know about the car.
You ain't kiddin' :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 405 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.