Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can a standard timing pointer be used on these.. as I've been told the crate engines don't come with any??
or am I doing the oil piece of wire bent around a timing cover bolt and homemade pointer trick
don't have engine here yet to look at it.. to see..
I'm guessing (dangerous) that because the timing cover is the same bolt pattern that any timing pointer for that size balancer should work..
but, not 100% sure..

thanks..

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Just found the following on a website :

"Small block Chevy - These engines have used three different timing pointer locations. Pre '69 engines have the TDC mark 2 degrees to the left of the keyway centerline. The '69 to '85 dampers have the TDC mark 10 degrees to the left of the keyway centerline. The 1986 to 1991/1992 have the TDC mark 40 degrees to the left of the timing mark. Most SB Chevy dampers, as well as all other aftermarket dampers, use the 10 degrees left of keyway.

From what I remember is that the older small block chevy's had the timing tab on the top of the timing cover and with a common 6.75 balancer for the vortec and such they had the tab at the noon position looking straight down behind the water pump. Reason they moved the timing pointer was because of the accessories on the front.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts